Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What kind of qualities......

Re: What kind of qualities......

IMHO, the #1 essential quality is that of a team player. Without team work you cannot have a cohesive effort from the healthcare staff.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

i agree team player is the best quality.

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by hsieh
    i agree ricu you need survival skills can navagate such an enviroment. but you don't need good survival skills when you're the nurse manger's friend and you get to call off work all you want or you have sex with the nurse manger so you get to take hour long breaks. yes you need good survival skills to work WITH people like that but if you're the one who the nurse managers friend or lover than you don't need good survival skills - the nurse manager takes care of your survival. i have a question for ricu - do you get to work in the same area you like all the time? what if a new nurse manager joined the company and decided to move you to another area and put his/her friend in "your" area? would you think different then? would you get another job? i see your point where the object of the job is the job itself and not the politics of work. but people aren't robots - they aren't going to ignore politics. would you work in a place where a doctor was allowed to hit a nurse? is that politics? or would you ignore that the doctor got away with hitting a nurse and continue your focus on your nursing job? now that i think about it you don't need good survival skills to be a nurse in a hospital. that's a rather dramatic look at things. you need excellent survival skills to do things like be chronically ill, chronically poor, severly disabled, live in a 3rd world country, endure childhood abuse, go to war etc.

hsieh,

My comments were directed to those who obsess on the general imperfections of the healthcare workplace, not the extreme situations that you point out.

Do I realy need to state that I would ignore and not act upon gross misconduct or assault in the workplace?

R

Quote Originally Posted by shortbus
    Tired,

after more than a handful of complaints and several warnings, I am banning you from posting for 10 days.

Please come back and contribute something of value to the forum.

Thanks.
    Smiles and thanks Shortbus for giving forum users a break

Quote Originally Posted by MagRedC5
    IMHO, the #1 essential quality is that of a team player. Without team work you cannot have a cohesive effort from the healthcare staff.

i agree team player is most important - but you must CHOOSE a team you WANT to play on. if you don't like the team then move on.

Quote Originally Posted by hsieh
    i agree team player is most important - but you must CHOOSE a team you WANT to play on. if you don't like the team then move on.
    I belong to a great nursing team
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

me to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12