Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of qualities......

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

What kind of qualities......

do you look for in staff members? The ability to learn quickly? Problem solving? Ability to get ahold of problematic doctors? Just curious!

Re: What kind of qualities......

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse
    do you look for in staff members? The ability to learn quickly? Problem solving? Ability to get ahold of problematic doctors? Just curious!
    Here are a few qualities that I believe are essential:

1. Knowledgeable and competent in performing basic nursing skills.

2. Good organizational skills.

3. Able to get a long with others.

4. Able to handle stressful situations without having a mental break-down.

5. Team player.

6. Good personality, friendly but not a push-over.

Member Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by kimmiejs
    Here are a few qualities that I believe are essential:

1. Knowledgeable and competent in performing basic nursing skills.

2. Good organizational skills.

3. Able to get a long with others.

4. Able to handle stressful situations without having a mental break-down.

5. Team player.

6. Good personality, friendly but not a push-over.
    yep that sounds pretty good

that's a pretty good list right there.

Ability to power trip

Ability to ignore the disgruntled predominant nursing population

Ability to multi-task and develope an ulcer from fear of malpractice

Ability to tolerate an unrealistically high nurse to patient ratio

Ability to meet a doctor so you do not have to work anymore

Ability to tolerate a** kissing at all levels of management

Ability to make $18- $23 per hour when your doing the work of $50 per hour.

Cool Re: What kind of qualities......

1) Ability to power trip- I can't think of anyone that I work with that likes being the charge nurse. Most nurses that are at the bedside have more important things to do than worry about who will make the patient assignment.

2) Ability to ignore the disgruntled predominant nursing population. If a person is that upset in their current position they have boundless opportunities to work in the many different fields of nursing.

3) Ability to multi-task and develope an ulcer from fear of malpractice.
    Yes I carry malpractice insurance however I do not dwell on being sued. When I am at work I focus on delivering the best quality care that I can.

4) Ability to tolerate an unrealistically high nurse to patient ratio. I generally have 5 or 6 patients. It is very rare that I have 7. I also have a CNA, Unit secretary, Nursing Supervisor, and 5 days a week my unit manager to help me.

5) Ability to meet a doctor so you do not have to work anymore... What the hell is this supposed to mean. People that say crap like this are responsible for giving nurses bad reputations. I can't think of a single nurse that would want to get involved with a MD.

6) Ability to tolerate a** kissing at all levels of management. I kiss no ones AS$!!!!

7) Ability to make $18- $23 per hour when your doing the work of $50 per hour. I make more than $23.00 per hour.

You really seem like an unhappy and bitter person. Life is too short to spend it being pissed off at the world the majority of the time.

Now then Kimmie...slowly back away from the keyboard... the truth will drain you if you let it. Just call me REALITY RANDY. Yeah . thats it.......got a nice ring to it.

:::chuckles::

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by Tiredofthesystem
    Now then Kimmie...slowly back away from the keyboard... the truth will drain you if you let it. Just call me REALITY RANDY. Yeah . thats it.......got a nice ring to it.

:::chuckles::
    Dear tired,

I've read your posts and you really do seem to be tired of the system. Your comments are truthful, nobody will dispute that but there is much more to focus on; the BIG PICTURE. It seems that you have become mired in what I call the minutiae. When we turn our attention to what we cannot control like, what the manager pays attention to or not, who is sleeping with whom, who is always late, who doesn't work hard, the idiot doctor, and so on we become negative and develop an attitude that undermines morale. This makes a hard job harder. While those problems that you rail about do create a difficult environment to work in, true profesionals choose to focus on real needs; things that facilitate patient care and improve the work environment. They put their effort into activities like developing nurse driven protocols, joining a QI committee, joining the product review committee, staff development, recruitment, education, preceptorship, just to name a few.

The healthcare environment IS a complex and difficult workplace and only people who have well developed survivor skills do well. Others either get eaten up or do the eating. You seem to need to develop some survivor skills or look for an alternative career. The tone of your comments suggests that you are way past venting. You haven't let anything go. Pouring out negative comments and antagonizing others promotes the very thing that you complain about. In short, not everyone shares your reality, Randy.

Good luck,

R

i agree ricu you need survival skills can navagate such an enviroment. but you don't need good survival skills when you're the nurse manger's friend and you get to call off work all you want or you have sex with the nurse manger so you get to take hour long breaks. yes you need good survival skills to work WITH people like that but if you're the one who the nurse managers friend or lover than you don't need good survival skills - the nurse manager takes care of your survival. i have a question for ricu - do you get to work in the same area you like all the time? what if a new nurse manager joined the company and decided to move you to another area and put his/her friend in "your" area? would you think different then? would you get another job? i see your point where the object of the job is the job itself and not the politics of work. but people aren't robots - they aren't going to ignore politics. would you work in a place where a doctor was allowed to hit a nurse? is that politics? or would you ignore that the doctor got away with hitting a nurse and continue your focus on your nursing job? now that i think about it you don't need good survival skills to be a nurse in a hospital. that's a rather dramatic look at things. you need excellent survival skills to do things like be chronically ill, chronically poor, severly disabled, live in a 3rd world country, endure childhood abuse, go to war etc.

Tired,

after more than a handful of complaints and several warnings, I am banning you from posting for 10 days.

Please come back and contribute something of value to the forum.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast