Hi!

I hope this topic isn't too out of line for this forum. It tends to be an emotional one - at least when pregnant women discuss it. I am an Pediatric/Postpartum Nurse and have assisted with Circumcisions and cared for infants and boys both circumcised and uncircumcised. I just assisted in the first circ in a long time and to tell you the truth I was pretty appalled - again. I have not witnessed one circumcision that wasn't extremely traumatizing to the infant or done for an actual medical problem. Claims are being made that adult circumcision is much more difficult and traumatic. I don't know what specialties you are all in, but I think it would be good to hear from men in the nursing profession whether they think routine infant circumcision is necessary from a medical and personal standpoint. I know this topic has the potential to go into "unprofessional" directions, but I'm hoping for some honest, informed opinions regarding the matter. There's a lot of information on the internet and in books, but I'm finding that when parents are making the decision to circumcise their boys, they are almost completely clueless and are basing their decision on a lot of misinformation or lack of information.

Thanks for any thoughts you can share.