Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Infant Circumcision

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Infant Circumcision

at my hospital the use EMLA cream before. There are studies about pain in infants. There used to be many procedures on infants without meds because of their "immature" nervous system but times are changing. Had all my boys done they seem no worse for the wear now.

Anonymous

Cass neither are mine.. And they aren't "done"...

WR,,, three commas for Becca

And EMLA cream goes in and out of favor all the time..What happens when it's out of favor..For awhile it was off the market. Our dialysis patients couldn't get it.

[ QUOTE ]
    jonasmom said:
    I'm glad I didn't have it done and he can make the decision for himself but I keep hearing it it worse for a older person. I don't what grounds people are basing that on since you can't really ask an infant about their experience and most I've seen were done without anesthectic.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm glad my mother did not think like you. Of course it is worse for an adult male than a newborn in regard to circumcision pain. I was circumcised as a newborn but certainly don't remember the event.

As an OR RN doing foley catheters on male patients it is very obvious the infection rates as well as the chance of strictures is much higher in uncircumcised males.

My wife & I visited a friend yesterday that had just given birth the day before. I don't recall how the subject got started but she shared the fact she was undecided on whether or not to have her baby circumcised. She is in disfavor of such, however her husband is for the procedure. I certainly did not express my opinion to her based out of respect. Although, I wonder if it had anything to do with her being French? BTW, her husband is an American.

By no means do I put puppies on the same level as newborns, however I raised Dobermans many years ago & never had a problem with getting their ears cropped. Yet, I'd never consider getting an adult Doberman's ears cropped. Maybe a bad comparison. Just a thought to throw out.

I am glad I had it done when I was born. OUCH, to think of having it done now! OK I am a bit of a wooss.

LeahNTexas

I think it is better for men to have the circumcision done when they are young. It will keep them cleaner when they are adults.

I am a male nursing student who will graduate this December. Having witnessed two infant circumcisions on my recently completed Maternity-OB clinical rotation (one using the PlastiBell and the other using a Gomco), I must say I was rather appalled by the entire process. I asked one of the Docs if this was truly a medical necessity. Her reply was that the American Association of Pediatricians stated it was not "absolute". I went to the AAP's website and found this statement adopted in 1999.

"Existing scientific evidence demonstrates potential medical benefits of newborn male circumcision; however, these data are not sufficient to recommend routine neonatal circumcision. In circumstances in which there are potential benefits and risks, yet the procedure is not essential to the child's current well-being, parents should determine what is in the best interest of the child. To make an informed choice, parents of all male infants should be given accurate and unbiased information and be provided the opportunity to discuss this decision. If a decision for circumcision is made, procedural analgesia should be provided."
    PEDIATRICS Vol. 103 No. 3 March 1999, pp. 686-693
    http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...cs%3b103/3/686

Although the AAP's position promotes the use of procedural analgesia, the only comfort measures used in the two circumisions I witnessed was the use of sugar water to quell the screaming.

Circ. is an alteration in the body that the person it is done to has no choice. Hygiene is the proper way to address preventing infection. I resent never having a choice in this matter. Most of what I have read indicates that this is done out of custom/ritual/religion and that sensation is diminished by this practice.

Sorry people but it hurts those little guys. I took care of 2 babies freshly circumcised and every time some thing touched them they started crying and vomiting. There have been studies done that proved that infants do in fact feel pain even at birth. back in the late nineties the nurses at St. Vincent Hospital in Santa Fe, New Mexico went on strike protesting circumcision without first being medicated. As far as I know they now use at least a local anesthetic. I hope all hospitals follow suite. Just my 2 cents.

Here's a problem that no one told me about in nursing school... I let my husband decide whether or not to circumcise our son, and he decided it was a good idea. Like father like son. About the time of his 6 month dr's visit, I noticed something didnt look quite right with the head of his penis. I brought it to the pediatricians attention... she made a quick move and my son started screaming. His circumcision had readhered. So basically, she did it again. I've heard from co-workers that this is not a rare occurance... ouch!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12