Thread: Ca Does Not Appreciate Lvn

Red face Ca Does Not Appreciate Lvn

Hello My Name Is Trina I Am A Lvn In Riverside Since I Have Been In This Area In The Past 6 Years I Have Found That This Area Does Not Respect Nor Appreciate Good Hard Working Lvn, I Believe That I Work In The Capacity Of An Rn, I Have Worked Er And Truley Enjoy It, I Carry My Own Load Nothing Other Than Iv Pushs Are Done By An Rn, So I Can't Understand Why The Opportunity For Lvn Are So Limted Not Just Here In Riverside I Have Found It To Be In Orange County And La County, Any Insight, Leads Please Reply

Re: Ca Does Not Appreciate Lvn

I don't think it has anything to do with Ca. I think most things have to do with the way one thinks. Change the way you think. Nursing in every capacity is highly appreciated by especially those who benefit most - patients. LVN salaries ranks pretty well also. I've seen staff in every capacity bar none bickering among themselves. The few and cherished people appreciate one another. I've learned to look forward to my check and make myself happy. Self evaluation, growth, striving toward excellence is what matters and it feels good. "Contentment is great gain".

Of course many (RN's) don't repspect LVN's in CA. We can perform the exact same specialty they can do, and do it as well for $10/hr less. It's a matter of jelosy and/or job security to them. To the best of my knowledge in California, the Scope of Practice for RN's and LVN's (with IV Certification) are vertually identical, except for pushing IV meds.

You've either got to grow some thicker skin or go back and upgrade to RN. You're gona get this crap most places you go. Good Luck

Member Extraordinaire

It has nothing to do with jealousy or job security, it has to do with attitudes like yours, that LVN's do the same job that RN's do. The role of an LVN vs. the role of an RN has nothing to do with technical skills, whether you can insert IV's, or whether you can give certain meds. The difference is in the assessment skills, and the extensive education behind those assessment skills. It's recognizing when intervention is needed, and knowing the pathophysiology behind symptoms and the medications you are giving. That you do not recognize this difference just reinforces that you do not truly understand the role of an RN.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

There are no extra "assessment skills" nor are there any additional "time for intervention" skills taught in the few extra months of RN schooling. In fact it is arrogance like yours that is the EXACT attitude this young lady was talking about. Since both LVN and RN schooling teach only the very basic core information of nursing, I submit it is rather the years on the floor as a working nurse that make the difference. It is all those years of listening, learning, studying and researching that makes the difference between a great nurse and a poor one. And it is NOT the title of RN or LVN. Shaun Elijah Gabriel LVN II, (or is it III or IV?)

Member Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by xxshaunxx View Post
    There are no extra "assessment skills" nor are there any additional "time for intervention" skills taught in the few extra months of RN schooling. In fact it is arrogance like yours that is the EXACT attitude this young lady was talking about. Since both LVN and RN schooling teach only the very basic core information of nursing, I submit it is rather the years on the floor as a working nurse that make the difference. It is all those years of listening, learning, studying and researching that makes the difference between a great nurse and a poor one. And it is NOT the title of RN or LVN. Shaun Elijah Gabriel LVN II, (or is it III or IV?)
    RN schooling, whether it be BSN or ADN, provides more extensive background education- sciences, the physiology behind disease processes and the medications used to treat them. And yes, the assessment skills learned in RN schooling ARE more extensive than those learned in LVN school. LVN schooling is very technically based, while RN schooling teaches those same technical skills, but also goes beyond the technical. I am not discounting the value of LVN's, but there IS a big difference in education and the level of responsibility assumed by the nurse when comparing a LVN to an RN. Ask any RN who has also worked as an LVN, and they will tell you the same.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

I have to agree with both you AND Amanda. True, good listening/communication skills are needed. Working enhances it. The few days of clinical one gets doesn't always cut it.

Amanda does have a point. I have been an LPN for years (I quit count....), and had to take Patho., Bio Chem (which my chemist dad never had)...... This all adds up to understanding the disease process better.

On an aside note: you work in a Gov. job? I was 'just' an LPN. No grades involved.

'One tired Cat'

Wink Re: Ca Does Not Appreciate Lvn

If one is unhappy with how one is treated in the workplace reference job titles, then one has the option of changing jobs to a more pleasant atmosphere or of upgrading one's job title. But going from LVN to RN does not guarantee that one will be treated better. Usually we train others how to treat us by our own behavior. Act with self respect and you will gain the respect of coworkers.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Of course you forget that under the Nurse Practice Act an LPN in any state cannot assess patients by law - they make observations and report their findings to RNs. This is not to say that many LPN's are not fine nurses that add excellence to the health care team, but it's attitudes like yours that widen the rift between these two very important professions. As long and some RNs and LPNs keep up this us vs them mentality we will qlways have this problem. If you want the opportunities that are afforded an RN go back to school.

As too the value of the LPN there have been times when things were better for sure - But in this recession if a facility has to decide between an LPN who can't legally do certain things the RN does and an RN who can do everything LPN can do and more it's just a matter of economics. Anybody who has a job right now should count their blessings. Team work is what it's about ladies and gents - time to climb out of the sand box.

Peace and Namaste