Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floating

Floating

I work in a 14 bed ICU which includes CCU, SICU & MICU on the night shift 7pm to 7am 3 days a week. I am a nurse for more than a dozen years however I am at my facility for a year and a half. UNION RULE any RN working at the facility more than 12 years does not float. Guess what there are only two of us who float and we usually don't work on the same nights. Our patient staff ratio is 3 to 1. When I float to telemetry the ratio is 8 to 1. HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Re: Floating

Vote out the union.. Then everyone would float on a rotation.

WR,,, three commas for Becca

My friend.... run away!!!!!!!!!!!!

I work in an MICU that has 12 beds, our ratio is 2 to 1 and quite often 1 to 1... some really bad cases, and sometimes not. We rarely have to float because we have just enough staff to cover what we have. When there's a call out, we wind up in the weeds!

I live in Florida, and as far as I'm concerned, thank God we don't have a union. I feel like unions cause a drain on our economy. I might add that I work for a faith based organization, if that means anything in the world of business... but we are, for the most part, treated fairly, and the institution in return gets loyal workers. Most of the really good nurses have been here for more than 20 years.

It aint shangri la, but it sounds like it's a far cry from what you are dealing with. Find a better home.

Anonymous

That was my first thought too Tracy. But I have to remember some people can't leave. Sounds like this might be an older nurse..12 years in the field . Maybe leaving is an option.

Can't or wont leave? Aren't you a traveller who also happens to have a few years under her belt?

After 18 years of being quite content, a divorce forced me into setting out on my own...(I never even payed bills without consulting the other half!). Don't get me wrong, the road was long and hard, but I now live in a very comfortable situation with my daughter, and she is attending one of the best schools in the S.E.

Life may throw you a curve ball, but you don't have to strike out. There is always a way.

Anonymous

I am a traveller. My point was that there may not be another hospital to work in. The poster might have children in school, elderly parents, or other commitments that require her to be where she is.

My kids have been gone since 1996 .Semper Fi. I didn't start traveling until 2000.. It's not something that is entered into lightly..IMHO.. Takes some research and planning..Leaving a home unattended in Maine isnt' always easy. Mail etc and bills all of that..

I agree everyone has choices. That's it .. It's their choice. My response was more to get rid of the union as a solution. Of course there are many solutions to each problem..

Fair enough

Anonymous

Actually leaving was my first gut response but I had to temper that urge.. I always let others do the dirty work if I can....lollll

Yes, I am an older nurse actually 49 years old. I was a manager for the past 10years. I held a position as an Assistant Director of Nursing in a 579 bed hospital for 2 years before going back to bedside nursing. I have been a critical care nurse on the night shift since May 2003 and I have finally found what I like to do. With the exception of floating.

I am thinking of traveling once my daughter starts college. I want to keep my home as a base, but how do you handle that? I was thinking of having someone trustworthy person live here and take care of the lawn, etc, while I would be gone. Also, from what I can see from traveling jobs advertised, most are for medsurg or ICU, with at least one year specialized experience. My background is community and ambulatory care.(12 years) I am thinking of taking a job in the hospital on a medsurg floor, or ICU (if I can get a good orientation), to get the required experince. Do you think this would be the right way to go about it. Itchin to travel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast