Thread: traveling now, but have a few questions

traveling now, but have a few questions

I'm a nurse from Tx, currently on assignment in Wa. I love it out here although it hasn't been the smoothest travel assignment. I'm not sure if I'm getting screwed by my company, although my gut says I am to an extent.
    The pay from my company isn't that much to begin with and they knock down your pay for just about everything. When you move, even though you stay at the same job,they knock down your pay. Plus on this last move, I took the subsidy and they knocked my pay down by a few dollars! Just doesn't sound right. I don't know.
    Plus I asked my recuiter about the pay rates for Cali b/c I heard it was high. I've heard that on average you can get paid between 40-50/hr. She tells me that is not true, that the average pay for a traveler is only in the 20's. That can't be right. I've heard numerous times of ppl really banking in Cali.
    Any suggestions?
    angeeRn

who are you traveling with so i know who to stay away from and yes honey you are being raped!!! RUN FOREST, RUN!!!! is it INTELISTAFF by any chance???

Re: traveling now, but have a few questions

Give me a call at 866-761-6091 to discuss your next travel assignment. THe pay in California is around $35-42.00 per hour depending on which hospital you go to. Some pay more, other pay less. Most of my nurse make around $1800 to 2400 a week. Call me

Tony Chu
    Virtual Healthcare Staffing
    Tel: 866-761-6091
    Fax: 866-7616099
    www.virtualhealthcarestaffing.com

Angie, you are getting royally screwed. If I did that to my nurses,they would quit. You should have a fixed travel stipend, fixed amount to get to the assignment, fixed hourly rate depending on your experience, and paid housing or a housing stipend. These should be very black and white and not float up and down. If you miss work for personal reasons, taking time off for holidays etc, we do not pay you your hourly rate or your travel stipend. If you want to travel with a company where everything is up front, call me.
    Anne Perreyclear
    VP.
    Healthcare Professional Staffing
    800-706-5493
    Quote Originally Posted by angeeRN
    I'm a nurse from Tx, currently on assignment in Wa. I love it out here although it hasn't been the smoothest travel assignment. I'm not sure if I'm getting screwed by my company, although my gut says I am to an extent.
    The pay from my company isn't that much to begin with and they knock down your pay for just about everything. When you move, even though you stay at the same job,they knock down your pay. Plus on this last move, I took the subsidy and they knocked my pay down by a few dollars! Just doesn't sound right. I don't know.
    Plus I asked my recuiter about the pay rates for Cali b/c I heard it was high. I've heard that on average you can get paid between 40-50/hr. She tells me that is not true, that the average pay for a traveler is only in the 20's. That can't be right. I've heard numerous times of ppl really banking in Cali.
    Any suggestions?
    angeeRn

Angee, I can relate to what you are saying. I am two weeks away from completion of my assignment in Ca Now my recruiter is saying that if I stay at my current assignment, my hourly rate is going to be reduced as well as my per diem. On top of all of that, I referred a nurse who is two weeks from completing her assignment and referred another one that is starting an assignment October 30th. There you go kid, thats the thanks that I got. I really do believe that all of these companies are all alike. She also told me that I would get a dollar more per hour for each referral after their completion of assignment. What a joke! B.S. is what I call it. You can't believe anything that they tell you.I had another nurse that was going to talk to my recruiter but I told her not to go with them on account of what went on with me. I wish that I could have stopped the other nurse but she has already signed the contract. Oh well! Politics with perm positions and B.S. with travel agency. They are both evil empires. Good luck to you!
    Texasaggie43

Quote Originally Posted by virtual_tony
    Give me a call at 866-761-6091 to discuss your next travel assignment. THe pay in California is around $35-42.00 per hour depending on which hospital you go to. Some pay more, other pay less. Most of my nurse make around $1800 to 2400 a week. Call me

Tony Chu
    Virtual Healthcare Staffing
    Tel: 866-761-6091
    Fax: 866-7616099
    www.virtualhealthcarestaffing.com
    TONY, IS THAT TAKING THE STIPEND AND HOW MANY HOURS A WEEK ARE YOUR PEOPLE WORKING FOR THE MAX MONEY?? 48 OR 60 HOURS??

Smile Re: traveling now, but have a few questions

I have positions in California right now that are paying $35-40hr up and down the coast in California as well as $30hr in Washington! Give me a call at 888 411 4462 x1205! I can tell yo all about the positions and answer any questions you might have!

Thanks
    Shawn

Shawn Turechek
    INA Healthcare
    National Staffing Advisor
    888 411 4462 x1205
    877 432 9462
    www.inanursing.com

Question Re: traveling now, but have a few questions

I have been out of work for 3 years now. I am really interested in travel nursing but all of the recruiters I've spoken with tell me I need at least 6 months current experience before they can place me. I posted my resume on Monster and it plainly shows that I haven't worked since 2003, but I still get tons of calls and emails from eager recruiters. As soon as I talk to them and they find out how long I've been out of work they lose interest. It really sucks because I was out of work because of serious health problems, not because I was on some kind of extended vacation or something. Anyway, I am finally doing well health-wise, and I plan on getting a job and working for about a year, then I am going to go into travel nursing. My husband will probably end up quitting his job and traveling with me. Some of the offers seem too good to be true. So I'm wondering what the average pay is for a med/surg nurse? I also want to know if the housing they provide is decent? What about if you have a pet? I've been considering getting an RV instead of using their housing, how much do they pay toward housing if you don't use theirs? I don't want to get screwed by a company that doesn't give a damn about its nurses. Are there any companies I should watch out for? Also, why does it seem like Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and Florida are always so desperate for nurses? Why is there more of a shortage in those particular states? And these recruiters who are promising the moon, are they sending you to hell holes with unsafe nurse to patient ratios? Why are the hospitals willing to pay so much for travel nurses?????? I feel like a freakin' idiot, but I want to walk into this with my eyes wide open and try to avoid all the pitfalls.

T.J.

There are a lot of good Traveling Companies out there, but the key is to get a good recruiter. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw unless you have a referral. I would like to talk to you about your traveling career and answer any questions you have. We have a lot of great opportunities out there for nurses. Yes, all of the details of the assignment should be laid out to you up front. Your recruiter should be trying to get you the most competitive deal possible. Give me a call at 866-953-0011 and ask for Chris Bates. Platinum Select Staffing.

I have been recruiting 20 years, Just know that no travel agency matches apples to apples. I take the approach that its your money you tell me how you like it distributed. I always find the nurses that take the full hourly rate and stipend make more money.

Its all in the recruiter as others have told you and in the company in how they negotiated top billing rates for nurses. We are the vendor managers so our rates are very competitive in California. Anyone looking for a first time assignment, or a wanting to work at top quality hospitals on their next assignment, please feel free to contact me by email or 1-800-660-9544 ext. 125....Let's make 2007 the highest pay year for your talents.