Thread: Need help!

Need help!

I'm hoping that someone can answer a few questions that I have. I recently decided to go back to school for nursing. I am taking full time classes at a four year university with hopes of getting into the BSN nursing program in the Fall of 2007. I just got accepted to a 2 year RN program at a local hospital that starts in Aug of 2007. I have over 60 transferable credits toward my BSN, but because you have to take all the nursing classes in sequence it will take me 3 1/2 years from Fall of 2007 to complete the program. It would only take me 2 years to complete the RN program. Does anybody know if I would be looked at as less competent when applying for a nursing job because I only have my RN? Also, do RN's and BSN's basically do the same thing? By the end of this semester I will have almost all of my "general education" credit requirements toward my BSN. I am now just waiting on the actual nursing classes, is there anyway that would count for something if I wanted to go back to a RN to BSN program down the road?

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Need help!

Quote Originally Posted by Keigan1
    I'm hoping that someone can answer a few questions that I have. I recently decided to go back to school for nursing. I am taking full time classes at a four year university with hopes of getting into the BSN nursing program in the Fall of 2007. I just got accepted to a 2 year RN program at a local hospital that starts in Aug of 2007. I have over 60 transferable credits toward my BSN, but because you have to take all the nursing classes in sequence it will take me 3 1/2 years from Fall of 2007 to complete the program. It would only take me 2 years to complete the RN program. Does anybody know if I would be looked at as less competent when applying for a nursing job because I only have my RN? Also, do RN's and BSN's basically do the same thing? By the end of this semester I will have almost all of my "general education" credit requirements toward my BSN. I am now just waiting on the actual nursing classes, is there anyway that would count for something if I wanted to go back to a RN to BSN program down the road?

You have to do whatever is best for you but yes a RN from a 2 year ADN program and RN from a BSN program all take the same NCLEX-RN test and all have the same title when hired. A BSN can get you a few points on a clinical ladder or make it easier to get into management positions. If getting to work is the goal I'd do the 2 year program then you can transfer that and take more classes and get your BSN or even go straight MSN or ARNP.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Just remember, some Institutions require you to take so many credits at their particular school to complete the program.

I agree with casioo that no matter which way you go, it is the same NCLEX test.

Quote Originally Posted by Keigan1

Now what do you want to do in Nursing? Care for patients? in that case
    you should get a regular RN...
    On the other hand if you want to wear a white jacket and walk around all
    day thinking how great I am and pushing papers then get you BSN...
    I have never seen a BSN take time to provide care to a patient..... They
    are just overpaid uneducated things who think they are Nurse... I have
    even had one two weeks from graduation come up to me and ask me how
    do you make the bed with the " fancy corners" This is what Nurses are
    suppose to do, care for patients, and if it means making a bed you make
    a bed.. If it means stopping and taking time to just listen to a patient
    you do not need a high ass degree to do this.