Thread: Advice about changing hospitals/locations

Advice about changing hospitals/locations

I came into nursing as a later career after over 20 years in the military and a brief, 3+ year, technical career. I've always known I wanted to do ER nursing. I worked for 18 months as a student nurse and then for 12 months in my RN role in a very large Level I ED. Our census hovered just over 100,000/year. When I say fast-paced, I mean fast.

I made a few rules for myself that applied to pesonal relationships while in nursing school and also at work: never date anyone at either place - keep it friendly and professional. Having been divorced for quite awhile this left me very little time to meet/develop a relationship. Eventually I did but it was long distance and I eventually moved to another state to live with this person.

The relationship went well for four months and now it has ended. Lesson learned about uprooting one's life.

Anyway, I don't want to live here and really don't like the area. I plan to move and after only 4 months at my present ER I turned in my notice. The ER nurse manager and ACM couldn't have been more understanding. They both said they would rehire me if I wanted to come back and would indicate such to HR.

So after all the background, here is my issue: I've got a solid background of sticking to what I start execept for this recent episode which is not indicative of my normal approach. How will I be viewed and how should I approach a new ER with my experience and this 4-month mistake? So far I have my BLS, ACLS, and TNCC. I also have a bachelor's degree in business management.
    "I'm taking the time for a number of things that weren't important yesterday"

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Advice about changing hospitals/locations

Hi, Dances....if asked, just say that it was a learning experience, which it was, right? You did learn alot at your new job, I take it....

'Cat'