Thread: Dietary consults

Dietary consults

Hi folks, newbie here but thought Id ask for some assisstance.... My facility is having difficulty getting dietary consults actually ordered....

They can be entered into the computer or via phone extension, but folks are saying they forget or cant remember the #.

How can we get these going??

Thanks
    K

Lightbulb Re: Dietary consults

Quote Originally Posted by karenS
    Hi folks, newbie here but thought Id ask for some assisstance.... My facility is having difficulty getting dietary consults actually ordered....

They can be entered into the computer or via phone extension, but folks are saying they forget or cant remember the #.

How can we get these going??

Thanks
    K
    It sounds like your unit manager needs to get involved here since this situation affects patient care. Everyone sounds like they need an inservice regarding order entry, especially in r/t dietary consults. AT my hospital our dietician has 24 hours to see patient after a consult has been ordered and placed in the computer. I hope this helps

Ricu

Re: Dietary consults

I agree that there seems to be a process breakdown. In addition to securing the consult itself and famliiarity with the order entry process, I'd like to add understanding the importance of the dietary consult to begin with. Often the problem is not believing it would benefit the patient. This may be the nurse failing to make the recommendation or the physician not wanting to order it. The solution may be encouraging the dietary department to conduct inservice education for the staff, including the physicians. I work in critical care and our dieticians participate in daily rounds. Across the board, we understand that adequate nutrition is essential to the healing process. Good luck.

R

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dietary consults

in addition to the inservice try posting a note on the front of the Kardex "did you get your dietary consult?" on the Ice machine or in the pantry, maybe get dietary involved if there's a dietary clerk that could call the units (if it's a problem everywhere) to ask are there any dietary consults today? Change takes time but that needs to be done.