Thread: Nurse Managers Who Nurture Staff Inspire Loyalty and Longevity

Nurse Managers Who Nurture Staff Inspire Loyalty and Longevity

Nurse managers who display transformational leadership characteristics (use of inspiration, intellectual stimulation and individual consideration to influence staff) create a better sense of organizational commitment in their staff than those who display transactional leadership qualities (setting goals, giving directions and using rewards to reinforce employee behaviors).

http://www.nursingeconomics.net/cgi-..._id=1073744453

I am curious about how many of you are inspired by your nurse manager?

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Nurse Managers Who Nurture Staff Inspire Loyalty and Longevity

Does this go for DON's, also?

Wink Re: Nurse Managers Who Nurture Staff Inspire Loyalty and Longevity

Quote Originally Posted by RNA
    Nurse managers who display transformational leadership characteristics (use of inspiration, intellectual stimulation and individual consideration to influence staff) create a better sense of organizational commitment in their staff than those who display transactional leadership qualities (setting goals, giving directions and using rewards to reinforce employee behaviors).

Nursing Economic$

I am curious about how many of you are inspired by your nurse manager?
    When I first graduated from nursing school back in the early 1990s I had one of the best unit manager on the surgical floor. She made herself available to night shift (which was my shift at the time), she spent more time out on the nursing unit than she did in her office. If there were any problems o the unit she took care of them before a small problem escalated to a point where it was out of hand. If there was a problem MD, and she knew that her nurses were in the right, well she would back us 100%. Even if we were in the wrong and we admitted it she would still back her nurses and not let MDs with "God Complexes" walk over us and make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Back then I was floated to the ICU frequently, so much so that many of the MDs thought I was a staff member of the ICU. The ICU also had a great manager. As a new nurse, I learned a lot from her. She was also available to her night shift. In fact she worked several night shifts each month when the census was high. I will never forget when I heard her say that she would not want to work in the ICU, especially at night understaffed and she will not make her nurses do it either.

Kimmiejs your reply is inspiring. I find your posts very well written and really helpful.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse
    Does this go for DON's, also?
    Cougarnurse if you mean Director of Nursing it does. Let's hear it!

Red face Re: Nurse Managers Who Nurture Staff Inspire Loyalty and Longevity

Quote Originally Posted by RNA
    Kimmiejs your reply is inspiring. I find your posts very well written and really helpful.

Thanks!
    Thanks. I was very lucky to start off my nursing career with 2 really good unit managers. Now, they could be tough when needed. They also knew that they could achieve their goals for their units with positive reinforcement. A little praise can go a long way. Knowing they were not afraid to get their hands dirty, put a patient on a bedpan, and help out when needed spoke volumes for the integrity and dedication to the hospital, the patients, and their nurses.