Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Out There Doing College Network - Lpn To Rn Asn?

Re: Anyone Out There Doing College Network - Lpn To Rn Asn?

Hi Everyone,

I'm completely new here and wanted to let everyone know that I'm doing the TCN-ISU-SSU LVN-BSN program in Modesto, CA area and was wondering if anyone was doing the program in CA. I'm just working on my prereqs. right now. I started with TCN with at least 30 credits. I've tested out of Fresh College Eng and Tech Writing and working on completing Ethics and Life Span Development in the next month. It's incrediably hard to find others in CA who are studying on their own. Another LVN I worked with dumped TCN/ISU/SSU when she failed her first test and got on with University of Pheonix here. They started a LVN-BSN program that costs $62k after she's done. She's got virtually no credits. Anyways, I know TCN is alittle expensive and doesn't do any degree granting but I figured I'd give it a try on my own. It will cost me about $24K when I'm done with everything. I'm curious to know if anyone knows what Sonoma State University's approved clinical facilities were? They're the ones contracting with ISU to get the CA BSN clinical requirements. I would be curious to know if anyone is in the same program me?! Thanks!

Let me warn you all, please, AVOID the college network. I joined over 4 years ago and I still don't have my RN. I have been lied to and drained financially. They lie in the seminar. The "study guides" do not prepare you for the tests. I had to buy additional study materials. The college does not endorse them. Once you finally enroll in the college there is a long waiting period for clincial, while you continue to pay annual fees. I wish I had never done this program. Please, take my advice and don't sign up. You'll regret it.

Lady m, I'm thinking about starting the college network for the lvn-bsn with ISU. I have a co-worker that just started and she's happy with the decision she made. She still doing the general ed. classes though. Just think, $24,000 is much cheaper than $62,000. Good luck and stay focused. It beats waiting 3-4 years at a j.c. for an Associates.

I would not go with any quote the College Network reps give. They gave me a quote that ended up almost tripling. They didn't even tell me about one course I had to take (I found out later from Excelsior) so that was added on to the total, along with the colleges yearly fee, almost $500 per year. They don't tell you it's a yearly fee. From what they put on my paper it appears it is a one time fee. But as long as your are enrolled, you will pay it, or you won't be enrolled. The clinical waiting period adds even more, because you are still enrolled while you are waiting. Keep in mind also, any test that is failed has to be paid for again.

Believe me, they don't tell you about all of the hidden costs. They fail to tell you about the waiting period for the clinical portion of the exam (given by the college) that starts after the required coursework is complete. If you ask them why they didn't tell you, they claim they have "no control" over what the college does. In other words, they lie to the student by omitting that information. By the way, the colleges want the entire clinical fee upfront, regardless of how long you wait to take the exam. I asked them why students have to wait. They said they didn't have enough instructors. It would have been nice to know this tidbit before I signed up.

The college network also claims to care and to help you. Don't believe it. Once they make sure you are paying your loan you will not hear from them. They could care less. They did not call me or contact me, even after my tests. If you contact them they are little or no help. They are dishonest. I just don't want others to find out the hard way, like I did. I regret not researching it better or talking to others. I talked to someone I worked with who said the clincial is very hard to pass. I read something another nurse said, saying that first time students had a 50% failure rate. Yet another nurse I talked to said that they fail students in order to make money. I wish I had talked to these people 4 years ago.

Hi. I joined the college network. I have to take 8 classes including nursing.
    Maybe it's just my experience but the person who came to my house to speak with me was very honest about everything so far including all costs and the fact that there are yearly charges.
    I have called TCN several times and always had prompt, encouraging responses. I've even called them re: study tips and they were quite helpful.

Unfortunately, I can not say the same for Excelsior, or it's test site, Pearson Vue. It took me almost a month after paying for the 1st test to get a test date! I'm hoping the next 7 tests will go smoother.

I knew this wasn't going to be easy. Let's face it, self study isn't for everyone. I will do whatever it takes or costs to see this through.

Good Luck!
    Debbie

Hello.
    The problem for me was not self study. I was easily motivated. I studied on breaks at work, and could be found at a local resturaunt with my study guides studying while eating. My husband helped quiz me, etc.

The problem was that the study guides did not properly prepare me for the test. When I took the test I found that there were questions about things not covered in the study guide. The study guide either didn't cover it or was too vague. Not to brag, but it's not that I'm stupid either. I had high scores in LPN school. I got the highest score in a class of 24 students on the dreaded Endocrine system test, missing only one question. I passed the boards the first time. Once I started using other materials for the tests I was able to pass, but it was hard because I had to cover a lot to make sure I didn't miss anything. Read what Excelsior says about the College Network on their site. That was a rude awakening for me.
    Have you taken any tests yet?

The College Network was dishonest with me, and far from helpful. Did they tell you that there is a 6-7 month (or more) waiting period for clinical? And you can't get on that waiting list until after you complete the course work? Did they tell you that Excelsior raises it's prices at regular intervals, and that they charge a high annual fee to stay enrolled? Did they mention the computer course you have to take?

I don't mean to be negative, but I truly regret taking this program. Yep, there is waiting to take the tests. Oh, and Kern schools will contact you regularly about selling your name. You have to sign something periodically and mail it to them or they will sale your name. The greed never ends.

I found Channcellor's much easier and effective than the college network. Look for the books on ebay the prices they ask are outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Anne View Post
    What is the College Network?? Is it and online program. How much is it (if you dont mind me asking). I am going to a vocational school to get my LVN right now and....wow...its expensive $26000+ for one year. I have taken micro. The only adivice I can give to you is stay up on the reading. It was not one of the easiest classes I have taken, but you can get through it. It was as difficult to me as physiolgy was. Let me know if you have any questions I did end up passing it with a lot of work. Does it have a lab with it? Its actually a very interesting class...kinda scary some of the things that they talk about. GOOD LUCK!!
    Ashley Anne,

I know it's been quite awhile, but are you saying that it cost you 26,000 dollars to go to LPN school?

That can't be right.

It should be more like 2,600.

I really can't complain about TCN. I just passed NC1 and although it was not easy I didn't see anything that wasn't covered in the book. I would say that you need to know the book from cover to cover and make sure you have the updated version.

I was lucky that the person I signed up with was honest about everything with me including the wait for CPNE and comp class. I was told to get my nursing done and can take electives while waiting. Also, I spoke with someone at excelsior and was told you if all classes are complete you can have the yearly admission fee waived while waiting for the CPNE.

Yes $26000 for 12mo...Its absolutly ridiculous!
    Ashley

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast