Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Out There Doing College Network - Lpn To Rn Asn?

Re: Anyone Out There Doing College Network - Lpn To Rn Asn?

Quote Originally Posted by Christiangal View Post
    Let me warn you all, please, AVOID the college network. I joined over 4 years ago and I still don't have my RN. I have been lied to and drained financially. They lie in the seminar. The "study guides" do not prepare you for the tests. I had to buy additional study materials. The college does not endorse them. Once you finally enroll in the college there is a long waiting period for clincial, while you continue to pay annual fees. I wish I had never done this program. Please, take my advice and don't sign up. You'll regret it.
    Thank you! Finally, someone is being honest. I have been trying to figure out if this program is any good, but there is no way of telling.

Angry Re: Anyone Out There Doing College Network - Lpn To Rn Asn?

I would not go with any quote the College Network reps give. They gave me a quote that ended up almost tripling. They didn't even tell me about one course I had to take (I found out later from Excelsior) so that was added on to the total, along with the colleges yearly fee, almost $500 per year. They don't tell you it's a yearly fee. From what they put on my paper it appears it is a one time fee. But as long as your are enrolled, you will pay it, or you won't be enrolled. The clinical waiting period adds even more, because you are still enrolled while you are waiting. Keep in mind also, any test that is failed has to be paid for again.

Believe me, they don't tell you about all of the hidden costs. They fail to tell you about the waiting period for the clinical portion of the exam (given by the college) that starts after the required coursework is complete. If you ask them why they didn't tell you, they claim they have "no control" over what the college does. In other words, they lie to the student by omitting that information. By the way, the colleges want the entire clinical fee upfront, regardless of how long you wait to take the exam. I asked them why students have to wait. They said they didn't have enough instructors. It would have been nice to know this tidbit before I signed up.

The college network also claims to care and to help you. Don't believe it. Once they make sure you are paying your loan you will not hear from them. They could care less. They did not call me or contact me, even after my tests. If you contact them they are little or no help. They are dishonest. I just don't want others to find out the hard way, like I did. I regret not researching it better or talking to others. I talked to someone I worked with who said the clincial is very hard to pass. I read something another nurse said, saying that first time students had a 50% failure rate. Yet another nurse I talked to said that they fail students in order to make money. I wish I had talked to these people 4 years ago.
    This is not fair. After all, we work hard for our money.

Hello.
    The problem for me was not self study. I was easily motivated. I studied on breaks at work, and could be found at a local resturaunt with my study guides studying while eating. My husband helped quiz me, etc.

The problem was that the study guides did not properly prepare me for the test. When I took the test I found that there were questions about things not covered in the study guide. The study guide either didn't cover it or was too vague. Not to brag, but it's not that I'm stupid either. I had high scores in LPN school. I got the highest score in a class of 24 students on the dreaded Endocrine system test, missing only one question. I passed the boards the first time. Once I started using other materials for the tests I was able to pass, but it was hard because I had to cover a lot to make sure I didn't miss anything. Read what Excelsior says about the College Network on their site. That was a rude awakening for me.
    Have you taken any tests yet?

The College Network was dishonest with me, and far from helpful. Did they tell you that there is a 6-7 month (or more) waiting period for clinical? And you can't get on that waiting list until after you complete the course work? Did they tell you that Excelsior raises it's prices at regular intervals, and that they charge a high annual fee to stay enrolled? Did they mention the computer course you have to take?

I don't mean to be negative, but I truly regret taking this program. Yep, there is waiting to take the tests. Oh, and Kern schools will contact you regularly about selling your name. You have to sign something periodically and mail it to them or they will sale your name. The greed never ends.
    I'm sorry that you had to go through that. I guess I'll stick to getting my education at Florida International University.

Hello.
    The problem for me was not self study. I was easily motivated. I studied on breaks at work, and could be found at a local resturaunt with my study guides studying while eating. My husband helped quiz me, etc.

The problem was that the study guides did not properly prepare me for the test. When I took the test I found that there were questions about things not covered in the study guide. The study guide either didn't cover it or was too vague. Not to brag, but it's not that I'm stupid either. I had high scores in LPN school. I got the highest score in a class of 24 students on the dreaded Endocrine system test, missing only one question. I passed the boards the first time. Once I started using other materials for the tests I was able to pass, but it was hard because I had to cover a lot to make sure I didn't miss anything. Read what Excelsior says about the College Network on their site. That was a rude awakening for me.

The College Network was dishonest with me, and far from helpful. Did they tell you that there is a 6-7 month (or more) waiting period for clinical? And you can't get on that waiting list until after you complete the course work? Did they tell you that Excelsior raises it's prices at regular intervals, and that they charge a high annual fee to stay enrolled? Did they mention the computer course you have to take?

I don't mean to be negative, but I truly regret taking this program. Yep, there is waiting to take the tests. Oh, and Kern schools will contact you regularly about selling your name. You have to sign something periodically and mail it to them or they will sale your name. The greed never ends.
    Just go on Ebay and purchase the study guides from Distance Learning. Also, purchase the notes and questions.

Hello.

Try Distance Learning Systems. They have class one day a week. They also tell you about the computer class. They might the most honest thus far.

Are you also a victim of The College Network and Excelsior College?

LVN-BSN Nursing - TCN/ISU/SSU in California

Hi Everyone again,

Wanted to follow up with what I've been doing and to reply the messages. Yes, I do believe TCN is alittle pricey and most of the books do prepare you for the test. I have passed Fresh Eng Comp w/essay (hard!), Tech Writing, and Ethics (hard, hard, hard!!). I have to retake Amer Hist2 (but that book that TCN supplies is right on the mark with the test), and I'm sched to take World Religions the 1st week of August. I had to purchase Lisa Arends CD on Ebay to suppliment Ethics book to pass it. You can in a sense purchase all of your prereqs TCN books on ebay if you're sauvy in getting what you need in the preqs for ISU from the TCN rep. Guess I could've have done it that way but I wanted the up-to-date versions. The TCN agreement is quite extensive and it does say what is priced and when and what and exactly when you can get into ISU. There's NOTHING omitted on those documents that you sign. I read the entire fine prints and all fees that were due. You can not enter ISU until you have finished ALL required prereqs. You cannot do ISU/SSU clinicals (CA requires 495 hours) until ALL 4 NURSING MODULES ARE COMPLETED thru ISU. And ISU has more online classes during clinicals that are required. It is all there in black and white. I'm not saying I'm supporting TCN, but in CA there's nothing here that is on-line or self study that really supports LVNs becoming RNs. Everything is so traditional here, jcs waiting lists and lotteries and there are even now LVNs going abroad (Phillippines) just to get into schools by private pay. It's happening here especially. CA RN boards makes it so hard for CA residents just to become RNs and the CA RN boards are trying to get rid of all LVNs its a no-win circle for LVNs. But here I am trying. I hope that helps everyone.

To anyone that is interested in the College Network please learn from my very costly mistake and don't do it!!! I signed up about a year ago after I graduated PN school. At that time CA was the only state that would not accept your licensure through this program. No big deal to me since I don't plan on living in CA. My husband is active duty military and we currently live in MO but are planning a move to IL in about 9 months (where we are originally from and where our family resides). Since then I completed two tests and was working on my third when I recently visited the College Network website and found out several more states will not accept your licensure through College Network including IL. And of course they claim they can't help what the state board of nursing decides so I can't get out of my contract. So I am paying a lot of money for absolutely nothing. My prediction is that within a few years no states will accept this program, so if you're doing it you better hurry up and if you're thinking about doing it forget about it!

Collins6738:

Boy, there is another thing I didn't know about. I am a fellow victim of The College Network. You can read my posts and warnings in this thread. The degree comes from Excelsior College. Is that what your state will not accept?

I have heard so many negative comments about The College Network and Excelsior. I wonder why more nurses don't warn other nurses or complain more. It seems they've been ripping students off for many years now. You'd be amazed at how much worse it gets once you enroll in the college. Of course, TCN never bothers to inform you of the hidden fees. I regret doing this program, and just to thank them for their dishonesty I plan on spreading the word and warning other nurses.

Check out some consumer web sites. You will see other dissatisfied people there. I wish I had researched it more.

Ladymharris, just wondering - how is it going with your studies with ISU and your prerequisites? Are you almost done (with your prerequisites)?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast