Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Experiences???

justatraveler

Re: Experiences???

Quote Originally Posted by MagRedC5 View Post
    ... neither are you modest!
    Mag the real burning question is: Is he old, single, rich, and does he have one foot on a banana peel. Now that's appealing :houra: :houra:

Returning to the original question... I rarely run into any problems related to being a male nurse, but I do specialize in Critical Care. During my travels I do see a higher percentage of male RNs in specialty units than on MedSurg.
    Occasssionally a physician may treat you better than another nurse and the comment will follow that it is related to your sex. I am not aggressive but by no means can it be said that I will shy from a biased remark (former SSG Active Duty US Army). I tend to mention that I bring years of ICU experience, CCRN/TNS status, and ACLS/PALS/BLS certifications to the table. Then I politely but firmly remind them that I am a NURSE. If that isn't enough to command a physicians respect then my experience and credentials should.

as a male, the patients always stop you thinking you are a doctor. here is a few ways i respond.

"hey doc...". i reply, "NURSE, im a nurse, dont insult me like that".

"why didnt you become a doctor instead of a nurse"
    answer "i did, but when i graduated medical school i didnt feel i had the knowledge to treat patients properly so i went to nursing school"

"what made you become a nurse"
    answer " i was in college and my guidance counselor asked what i wanted to major in, so i told him GIRLS, so he sent me to nursing school and whaddya know, i graduated"

quote: "Hello. After browsing the forums here, i haven't seen this question yet so if it has been asked, I apologize. I was wondering what the attitude towards males in the nursing field are these days and what experiences, positive or negative, have any of You experienced? The admin at my school says that males are fully excepted but the anecdotal evidence I am getting says this is not the case, especially when I tell people what I am going to school for. This has me worried to the point where I am thinking of changing majors to PT, OT, or maybe even Radiation Tech. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Marc"

Yes, I have nothing much to do today so i'm adding my two cents to this old thread. Marc, if your still looking in here........on your question concerning attitudes toward male nurses and +/- experiences........my first response is that there are female nurses who don't like working with males and don't believe males belong in nursing but they are in the minority. Personally I think they just don't like men for whatever reason and its not really about nursing in most cases. I worked with lesbian nurse (she was outfront with that) who made it clear she didn't like men and tried to make my day hell whenever I worked with her. After 25 years I can say that most nurses I have worked with accepted me as a nurse. If you are good at what you do, have a postive attitude and a little bit of a thick skin you will be fine. Don't take everything to heart and be defensive about everything. I do like working with other men as there is less gossiping and more teamwork.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyJim58 View Post
    quote: "Hello. After browsing the forums here, i haven't seen this question yet so if it has been asked, I apologize. I was wondering what the attitude towards males in the nursing field are these days and what experiences, positive or negative, have any of You experienced? The admin at my school says that males are fully excepted but the anecdotal evidence I am getting says this is not the case, especially when I tell people what I am going to school for. This has me worried to the point where I am thinking of changing majors to PT, OT, or maybe even Radiation Tech. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Marc"

Yes, I have nothing much to do today so i'm adding my two cents to this old thread. Marc, if your still looking in here........on your question concerning attitudes toward male nurses and +/- experiences........my first response is that there are female nurses who don't like working with males and don't believe males belong in nursing but they are in the minority. Personally I think they just don't like men for whatever reason and its not really about nursing in most cases. I worked with lesbian nurse (she was outfront with that) who made it clear she didn't like men and tried to make my day hell whenever I worked with her. After 25 years I can say that most nurses I have worked with accepted me as a nurse. If you are good at what you do, have a postive attitude and a little bit of a thick skin you will be fine. Don't take everything to heart and be defensive about everything. I do like working with other men as there is less gossiping and more teamwork.
    Yep, ain't that the truth!
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Quote Originally Posted by marcs106 View Post
    Hello. After browsing the forums here, i haven't seen this question yet so if it has been asked, I apologize. I was wondering what the attitude towards males in the nursing field are these days and what experiences, positive or negative, have any of You experienced? The admin at my school says that males are fully excepted but the anecdotal evidence I am getting says this is not the case, especially when I tell people what I am going to school for. This has me worried to the point where I am thinking of changing majors to PT, OT, or maybe even Radiation Tech. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Marc
    Marc, I have been an RN for 28 years. Not only have I been accepted, but I have been appreciated. If you want to be a nurse, don't change your major. In my practice I have never faced any prejudice or maltreatment. Thanks, Dan

Quote Originally Posted by marcs106 View Post
    Hello. After browsing the forums here, i haven't seen this question yet so if it has been asked, I apologize. I was wondering what the attitude towards males in the nursing field are these days and what experiences, positive or negative, have any of You experienced? The admin at my school says that males are fully excepted but the anecdotal evidence I am getting says this is not the case, especially when I tell people what I am going to school for. This has me worried to the point where I am thinking of changing majors to PT, OT, or maybe even Radiation Tech. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Marc
    If only.
    We as men have to be accepting of our fate if we are going to survive, This question of yours is nothing new , and the answer is the same as it was when men first reentered the field of nursing. the truth is that SOME FEmale nurses havn't accepted the idea that it is OK for men to work in this field. they see it as a "Good Old Dames" club, where men are a burden to the system. They (the G.O.D.'s) think we cant do the job becausse we lack the feminine touch IE: the "Mothering instinct" and many other reasons (some of which are made up as they go allong) they see it as an invasion of there space. We have entered there comfort zone and they are not comfortable any more. So, as the saying goes "Misery loves company".
    This is what I have learned from my mother who happens to be an open minded nurse/BSN her F(r)IENDS at work gave her nothing but strife over me getting my Nursing Degree, then congratulated her when my kid sister followed me two years later.
    To make a long story short my friend, If you give up we all lose!!!!!!!!
    By "All" I include all those who are against us being who we were called to be (the G.O.D.'s). If you want to be a Nurse then be the best Nurse you can be.
    One of my instructors told me that I have an unfair advantage over the females in my class, and that advantage was that I had already overcome my greatest obstacle in becoming a nurse, gender bias.
    For the end I only say this.
    If given the chance to do it all again knowing the outcome/heartaches I would face allong the way I would still become a nurse.:luck:

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by orionseal View Post
    If only.
    We as men have to be accepting of our fate if we are going to survive, This question of yours is nothing new , and the answer is the same as it was when men first reentered the field of nursing. the truth is that SOME FEmale nurses havn't accepted the idea that it is OK for men to work in this field. they see it as a "Good Old Dames" club, where men are a burden to the system. They (the G.O.D.'s) think we cant do the job becausse we lack the feminine touch IE: the "Mothering instinct" and many other reasons (some of which are made up as they go allong) they see it as an invasion of there space. We have entered there comfort zone and they are not comfortable any more. So, as the saying goes "Misery loves company".
    This is what I have learned from my mother who happens to be an open minded nurse/BSN her F(r)IENDS at work gave her nothing but strife over me getting my Nursing Degree, then congratulated her when my kid sister followed me two years later.
    To make a long story short my friend, If you give up we all lose!!!!!!!!
    By "All" I include all those who are against us being who we were called to be (the G.O.D.'s). If you want to be a Nurse then be the best Nurse you can be.
    One of my instructors told me that I have an unfair advantage over the females in my class, and that advantage was that I had already overcome my greatest obstacle in becoming a nurse, gender bias.
    For the end I only say this.
    If given the chance to do it all again knowing the outcome/heartaches I would face allong the way I would still become a nurse.:luck:
    Hey dude,

Hopefully it's gotten better for you. It sounds like you've been surrounded by some pretty headstrong lady nurses. While I've seen some strong willed females in the fleld, they have been in the minority. By and large, I find my coworkers to be congenial and the workplace to be focused in a relatively "gender neutral" fashion. There are good places out there for male nurses. If you aren't in one, start looking because you deserve to be appreciated for the qualities that make you a good nurse. Being male adds a special quality that your patients and coworkers will appreciate when they get to know you.

Welcome to the brotherhood.

R

http://forums.nurses-forum.com/showt...0945#post40945

Hi Marc...I just posted an introduction to the forum...not because I am new but returnig after a long absence.

Yes, you will find I suppose "acceptance" in the nursing field. as a nurse of the male gender. Nursin is a profession that as you will read in my intro, has many options but you are the one who takes them.

when I worked many ER's and a very rare ICU shift, I did get the exclamation :"Wow..here comes "muscles" ". Politely, I always made it clear I was there as another nurse and not as a weight lifter. Helping as a team member is one thing...but letting others push you into helping, was not in my shift report.

Hang in there....if you feel you want to be a nurse...follow the dream.

Falcon
    http://aeromedicina.org

Its funny but I have been doing this (nursing) so long now and have so completely excepted being a male nurse (took a long time) that I forget sometimes that others outside the profession find males in nursing curious. I was at a party recently that was not a healthcare function and was conversing with a group of people I did not know........folks in academia and business.......when someone asked me what I did for a living I simply said i'm a registered nurse. you could have heard a pin drop. I got "that look" from a couple of people.....you know the one....."is he gay?".........a couple of others suddenly seemed to be embarrassed......finally someone simply changed the subject and started talking about something else.....I was "floored"......and for a minute it brought back all the old feelings I had when I was a new nurse......is nursing a job like any other? My answer to that is NO. If it was we wouldn't have a nursing shortage. Not everyone can do this job which makes it special and as a registered nurse you are special. As a male registered nurse you are even more elite. Elite of the fleet as we say in the Navy. Have a great day.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast