Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Funniest things in LTC???

Talking Re: Funniest things in LTC???

One of my funniest memories of being a CNA involved a resident with Alzheimers and was very difficult to handle. I was toileting her and when I turned my back she got BM all over her hands. I asked her what happened and she replied "I'm fulla ****!" Funny how the darnedest things will come out of these peoples mouths when you least expect it!

Another one happened about a month ago. One of my favorite residents went to the hospital for a CT Scan. I was working nights so when I came in with her 6am meds I said "I hear you went to the hospital yesterday" To which she responded... "Yea, I went to get my head examined." She said it so matter-of-factly it was hillarious! She then added "They looked, but they didn't find anything in there!"

Re: Funniest things in LTC???

Today I came in to be updated on an interesting skin condition. It appears either the resident or a new CNA (nobody has fessed up) has accidentally used fixodent in the periarea instead of barrier paste... talk about a pink sticky situation!

I worked with a resident a couple of years ago who had advanced dementia. He could be very difficult at times, but once I realized what the problem was, I explained to the CNA's repeatedly that "If you will just talk to him BEFORE you handle him, move him, etc. he will not get near as agitated. (He had a habit of keeping his eyes closed and was therefore startled easily.) The CNA's in their rush to get things done, seldom heeded my advice and frequently called me to calm him after they had him agitated. Usually, I could say, "___, open your eyes; it's Anna." and he would look at me and allow me to talk him down. However, one day he was so agitated by the time I got there that when I said that to him, he he yelled, "I don't give a f--- who you are!" without ever opening his eyes. We all looked at each other and burst into laughter. Guess he told me!
    At other times, he could be such a dear. I would come to work and find him in his chair with his eyes closed. I would say, "_____, open your eyes" and he would open them and a light of recognition would come to his face as he would say, "Oh! It's you!", or "Hi there!". One night as I was helping to tuck him into bed, I said "Good night, ____; I love you." He sweetly replied, "What else can I do but love you, too."
    I spent a total of 8 months on assignment there. I still think of him very often and miss him terribly.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Yeah, ones like that really get to ya. Make up for the right pains....

These are the reasons I will probably spend my entire nursing career in long term care, possibly even at the same nursing home. I love my residents... I love getting to know them, their quirks, the funny things they say, etc. I hate when people assume nursing homes are these awful death traps where everyone is depressed. I think there are plenty of people who love living in them. Its like college dorm life for the elderly. They get a roommate... whom which they may or may not get along with. They can go to parties with friends or other fun activities, and they have up to 3 table mates to talk with for every meal. Plus its like you're at a hotel... you've got maid service, laundry, room service, and never have to cook (unless you're participating in Chef's Club for fun Beats living all alone in a house if you ask me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12