Thread: rn/bsn= pay difference???

Smile rn/bsn= pay difference???

hi, i am trying to decide between finishing a BSN or getting a 2 year RN. I intend to complete my BSN later and then get a masters degree, but for now, it will be much much quicker to get the AAS RN. What i really want to know is if there is a big difference in the availability of jobs and pay for RN's and BSN's. I know BSN's have more skills for management, but management jobs usually require a couple years experience anyway, right??? i'm so confused and the next semester starts in a couple months!! :confused:

Re: rn/bsn= pay difference???

I am an ASN with 10 years of experience and have not found that to be a problem getting a bedside job. You are correct that BSN is in prep for management and you need some experince for that. The only thing about getting your BSN later is it is harder to get back in that school mode. I am currently in an e-program and frequently have trouble getting into that "school mode" but graduation is soon approaching and then off to a masters. It is also harder to apply yourself when you have a full-time job obligation as well. Most on-line BSN programs run condensed-excelerated classes (modular) which makes it very intense.

Good Luck in whatever you decide.

I tend to agree with BMB. I'll try not to get on my soap box here. I have a ADN degree and graduate in 1985. I make just as much money working as a floor nurse as any BSN. In most cases, working on the floor with an ADN or BSN degree varies about zero in pay. So if your desire in life is to be a floor nurse there is little if any advantage in having a BSN degree. If you however desire to be in Management, then to get the best options a BSN is the way to go.

Personally, I have been a DON for 2 long term facilities in Iowa and a Weekend House Supervisor in Indiana in a long term facility. In the hospital setting as a floor nurse I have always made just as much as the BSN nurses. I guess the one craw in my throat is the fact that I scored almost off the charts when I took my State Boards as an ADN RN. I sat right there with the BSN nurses taking the same exact test, most of which scored much lower...but when it comes to getting a management postion who gets the preferred treatment...of course the BSN Nurse who barely passed their State Boards or had to take the test several times to get a passing score. OOPS, I said I was not going to get on my soap box...better quit now.

So the point is...do you want to be a floor nusre or in management? Floor nusre ADN is most logical. If you are inspired to be in management then you better get your BSN...most employers don't give a hoot about your State Board scores or how many zillion time you had to take the test to pass...a BSN will get a management job over an ADN every time, especially in the hospital setting. Good luck to you and I hope my comments have been helpful.

Thanks

lfin, this is a rather dated Thread. Please give us an update on what you decided to do ... for the sake of keeping this Thread alive, as well as our interest in your success in nursing.

I have known LVN's that could do circles around an ADN, or BSN regards to hands on patient care. On the otherhand, my advice would always be for all those pursuing a nursing education to go straight for a BSN. I took the long road; AAS Surg Tech -> AAS Nursing [ADN] -> RN-BSN [BSN]. I was a single parent [Dad] with two sons when I decided to change careers from aircraft electrician to the healthcare field. I needed to be able to work full-time, ASAP. So, I took the programs of interest that were marketable and doable. However, I started college in 1993 and achieved my third college degree in 2004. During all that time I was either working part-time, or full-time while raising two sons in jr. high, then high school. IT WAS TOUGH! For those of you able to go to nursing school straight out of high school I strongly encourage the BSN program first and foremost.

Like I mentioned, I have all the respect in the world for LVN's and ADN's [I was an ADN]. Yet, many motivating factors exist for BSN, and more than just management as a goal. Anyone even remotely considering an MSN will need a BSN. A few states prefer BSN, rather than ADN. If, by some chance one is considering serving their country [the great US of A] as an active duty military nurse... you need a BSN, and even an MSN for promotion eligibility above Major. BTW, I can certainly chat with anyone considering military nursing. I have no regrets and highly recommend such a career move for male nurses. In the Army Nurse Corps, male nurses are about 35%, whereas in the civilian nursing pop. I've read it is around 6% for male nurses. Anyway, I digress...I'll get off my pro-military nursing [Army Nurse Corps] soap box.

Bottom line, the starting pay difference out of nursing school for ADN'S v. BSN is little to none. Yet, it is not always just about the $$$.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

I have my BSN, and get paid the same as my boss, who has an ADN; however, we work in LTC, and that is our choice. Yes, BSN's are useful for management; but to be honest, my boss has an ulcer large enough for both of us. I help with the paperwork, and work the floor when needed. Oh, and I had been an LPN for approx. 17 years prior to getting my degree.

Getting your ADN first (OR LPN), then going for your degree later on may be in your best interests.

'Cat'

Where I work ADNs and BSNs get paid the exact same. My advice is to get the ADN then get a job where they have education reimbursement. That way they'll pay for you to get your BSN or at least for part of it. A lot of places have education reimbursement because they are looking for nurses.
    Michelle RN-BSN, CSW
    ER - 1 year
    Peds - 8 years
    PACU - just starting

Question Re: rn/bsn= pay difference???

I am currently working towards a ADN degree. will be done by mid sep. thinking of bypassing BSN and going straight to CNS or NP. whats better in terms of hours, kind of work?. i understand the pay will be higher then that of ADN/BSn but is it worth the effort and time?

thank you

p.s im green to the site.

vicki:frustrated:

"I am currently working towards a ADN degree. will be done by mid sep. thinking of bypassing BSN and going straight to CNS or NP. whats better in terms of hours, kind of work?. i understand the pay will be higher then that of ADN/BSn but is it worth the effort and time?"

Vicki, If I read your question above correctly you want to bypass the BSN and go to CNS or NP? I don't think you can do that. to get to the graduate level in school you have to have a bachelors first and probably it has to be a BSN. You could go the RN to MSN route but for NP that could be touch to find.

As far as pay goes a CNS or NP can make you a lot more money depending on where you work. Many CNS make less than experienced full time RN's with overtime. CNL like I was makes about the same as a CNS. A NP can make a lot more money depending on the physician network you work for and what kind of deal you work out with them. :luck: