Thread: ethical problem

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Post ethical problem

I am nurse in recovery and have just over two years clean and sober. I am currently working in a psych facility and love it. There is a patient on my unit who is a nurse. The person has a long history of addiction and has never been reported to the board. Said pt arrived at our facility drunk BAL 0.40
    After being admitted Attempted AWOl and got into a car wreck in the hospital parking lot was brought in placed on a hold. This person is a working nurse. THe doctor does not plan to report said patient to the board. Having been in diversion for two years I wouldn't wish the headache on my worst enemy but we are talking about public safety here. My Sponsor says I have an obligation to do the right thing. My question when does public safety override a patient's privacy. I have thought about going to risk management and letting them handle it. What do you all think.

Happy grateful sober and free

HPPYGR8FUL

Ricu

Re: ethical problem

Quote Originally Posted by hppygr8ful View Post
    I am nurse in recovery and have just over two years clean and sober. I am currently working in a psych facility and love it. There is a patient on my unit who is a nurse. The person has a long history of addiction and has never been reported to the board. Said pt arrived at our facility drunk BAL 0.40
    After being admitted Attempted AWOl and got into a car wreck in the hospital parking lot was brought in placed on a hold. This person is a working nurse. THe doctor does not plan to report said patient to the board. Having been in diversion for two years I wouldn't wish the headache on my worst enemy but we are talking about public safety here. My Sponsor says I have an obligation to do the right thing. My question when does public safety override a patient's privacy. I have thought about going to risk management and letting them handle it. What do you all think.

Happy grateful sober and free

HPPYGR8FUL
    Hi Happy,

Congratulations on your success in recovery. Along with being an ethical challenge, it must be a real personal struggle for you to be where you are and see another nurse drunk and taking care of patients. While I'm not in your shoes trying to weigh the patient privacy issue against the need to report a compromised nurse, I see the public safety issue being paramount. Drunk people should not drive and a police officer should be summoned to take them into protective custody. Regarding this nurse and her chemical dependency issue, her physician failed to do the hard but right thing. He should have offered her this ultimatum; commit to treatment and take a LOA or be reported to the nursing board. I see you as having the difficult responsibility of batting clean-up for the doctor and needing to offer the same ultimatum. You obligation is to advocate for her as a patient, all of her future patients while she's a nurse and everyone on the road with her while she's drunk. I'll pray for you and for her. Good luck,

R