Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tattoos In Nursing??

Re: Tattoos In Nursing??

ya I dont have a problem with covering it up, it acutually doesn't really look as bad i make it sound........ what can i say I grew up listening to metallica, moved to los angeles joined a rock band got a few tattoos and went on tour for 3 years, thats the story behind them, I think I can even have more work done to it to kinda lighten it up (the tone of it) a little.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Heck, when I was in LPN training, had an elderly lady who had a home-made tattoo.... her bf's name between her knuckles. Go figure!

'Cat'

Many people go to nursing school with tattoos. I doubt the school will care but may have a clause about it in the dress code.
    In my facility (geriatric) our dress code is to cover them. Long sleeves I don't mind but sometimes the big white bandages over the ankles and neck get a little much. One resident asked someone if her sore is ever going to heal, she'd been wearing that bandage for over a year. In situations like prison or group homes or something it may not be an issue, but in peds and geriatrics, maybe psych, you'd want to be more careful I suppose. I think for our elders who did not grow up with the kinds of tats we see, they may fee uneasy at the graphics we use now. Not just grampa's army tattoo anymore if you know what I mean. In nursing homes 40 years from now, we'll be teaching people how to bath around peircings in Nursing Care 101. Times change, but each career field has it's own standards of how it's members should fit into that image. Ask some local nurses.

Quote Originally Posted by grege View Post
    Hi all I am very interested in starting nursing school, I have been researching the "tattoo in nursing policies" as I have several on my arms, I do not want to think....... that having a tattoo would garnish me any less respect, can someone with some experience give a little input here.
    Thanks all
    Greg
    I don't have a tatoo myself but people I've gone to school with and worked with have been required to cover them up. One friend had to wear long sleeve shirts both in school and at the hospital he ended up taking a job at... I'll also note that the school and his hospital have reputations for being on the conservative side...

thanks for the info

Hi,
    I have worked all over the country and have been in the heartland area of the midwest for several years now. I work with nurses who have piercing and tats, I don't think they have any problems. One guy in particular I thought was a die hard harley guy and sure enough he was. Leather jacket and all. It works for him. Just be yourself and be comfortable in your skin. Inked or Not.
    D:houra:

Regarding your concern with having a tatoo and applying to Nursing school, i would think that different schools has different policies. I do not have any tatoo but i know that in my school, you have to wear something that can cover your tatoos when you're in clinicals.

Nowadays, tattoos almost anywhere are acceptable. Otherwise they would be eliminating too large a segment of population from the potential nursing work force. So barring anything truly racist or obscene would beacceptable now. I know one nurse who has a large bold swastika on top of his hand, he works as a nurse. No one complains.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

:offtopic: Tom, did you know the swastika is actually found in one of the Indian (as in India) religions?

Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    :offtopic: Tom, did you know the swastika is actually found in one of the Indian (as in India) religions?

He is not Indian, nor religious. But he is a good nurse.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast