Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tattoos In Nursing??

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Tattoos In Nursing??

Generally, I don't have problems with tattoos, but I would have a problem with someone who had a huge swastika tattoo.... To me, that is a symbol of hatred and ignorance, and the blatant display of such a powerful symbol completely disregards the feelings of others.

Everyone makes mistakes, and I believe people are capable of change, so if this person no longer holds the beliefs that caused his to get that tattoo, he should attempt to cover it up, or have it removed.

I don't care how good a nurse someone is- if they are putting something out there like that, something that will make most of their patients feel very uncomfortable, they are disregarding their patient's feelings....
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Now read THIS story on the subject! http://www.ultimatenurse.com/forum/f...041/#post99934

Ricu

Tattos, like jewelry, hairstyle, clothing and make-up are forms of self expression and of course, highly individualized. Healthcare professionals and the facilities in which they work have a well established history of conservatism. While tolerance and even acceptance of more vibrant forms of self expression is occurring, it's not fully there yet. Yeah, in essence, this school policy appears to be discriminatory but given the nature of self expression, conditional approval isn't fair either and some measure of control has to be in place. A single rose or Celtic band is not the same as a skull or bloody sword. Maybe it's less of a hassle to play by the rules, cover up and when school is over, seek employment in a place where tattos can be displayed.

R

I must be old fashion. I realize tattoos have become more the norm rather than taboo. I've never liked tattoos. I think they take away from a person's appearance. I realize the need for self-expression and tattoos provide that outlet. Our youngest son [27 yo] has one of those religious fish symbols below the neckline, posteriorly. So, it is easily covered and in no way is it offensive. My step-daughter [26yo] has several tattoos which all are easily hidden and nonoffensive. So, in these examples I find tattoos very tolerable.

Awhile back the US Army became desperate for recruits. The Army Regs on tattoos are now very lenient. The only true restriction is the tattoo can not be perceived to be gang related, or otherwise offensive. I see literally hundreds of young Soldiers everyday. It blows me away to see female Soldiers with huge tattoos on the visible side of their neck. I see male & female Soldiers with numerous tattoos in areas not coverable when wearing the Army Physical Fitness Uniform. I really hate the Army lowering their standards on military appearance.

Until nursing schools start having a problem with enrollment, or lack of, I doubt those with strict policies will back down.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

I have seen men have tatoos that are in nursing. I don't think that would bar you from getting hired somewhere. I would wear long sleaves to your interview though. I am very against tatoos personally but I wouldn't keep that from hiring someone that wanted to be a nurse. If they are offensive, then I would recommend always keeping them covered.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123