Thread: NP's working as RN's...

NP's working as RN's...

Me and a coworker were debating this... once an RN becomes an NP are they able to work as a staff RN again?

Thanks for the input.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: NP's working as RN's...

From my understanding, they can; they are nurses after all! I am sure they are held to the NP standards.

'Cat"

That's interesting. I know it didn't make sense but I had read, heard, been informed from somewhere... that once you cross that line of becoming an NP you can no longer go back to being a "regular" nurse on the floor. Such as going to a nursing home and passing pills, or in a doctor's office, or on a med-surg floor, etc.

Thanks for the reply.

One of the doctors down the street from me has a NP in his office, and my PCP has a NP, also. As I said, if they wanted to work as a floor nurse, I guess they can. Mostly they work in Clinics, Acute Care, ER's....the jobs are endless

'Cat'

Yes, but aren't they functioning as an NP? A lot of doctor's offices are using them these days.

It's part of a law... I just can't find it. I need for an actual NP to answer. I think they would for sure know.

There is often a debate about 'working at the bedside' or not, as an NP; it is often up to the individual, and their specialty. Either way I look at it, you 'are' bedside, whether working the floor or in a different setting. The NP 'is' held to a higher standard, d/t their degree.

Also, look into the various BON's as to what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by jebjow View Post
    Me and a coworker were debating this... once an RN becomes an NP are they able to work as a staff RN again?

Thanks for the input.
    Yeah I have always had this same question. thx for posting

I have a very good friend who is an ARNP. She teaches classes at a local college and works in a cardiac ICU at the bedside. She does this because she enjoys bedside nursing more than rounding for doctors. She became an NP mainly because she loves teaching. So at least in Florida there is no problem with an NP remaining a floor nurse.

I don't know why there would be a problem anyhow. An NP is definitely qualified for the job.

As I understand the question, I would say yes they can work as a staff RN on a floor/unit as long as a hospital would hire them to do so.

Both the hospital and the nurse though would have to keep in mind their scope of practice limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by jebjow View Post
    ..... I need for an actual NP to answer. I think they would for sure know.
    It depends on the state. If your state board requires a separate license for RN and NP, then you can not work as an RN unless you also have a current RN license. If you have that, then you can work as an RN regardless of whether or not you also happen to be an NP.

However, you will be held to a higher standard of care. We are each held to the standard of our education and experience. So, if you decide to work some extra hours as an RN, know that you will be judged as an RN with a master's degree and NP preparation. If, godforbid, you make an error, you will be judged according to that higher standard.

The bigger problem has to do with being an NP in an RN role. Say your patient crumps and you can't get a hold of the doc. Or worse, an intern that doesn't know what to do. As an NP, you can get labs, order meds, yada yada. But at that moment, you will be unable to do anything to save that patient, because you are hired as an RN, not an NP so your NP privileges are not invoked. That ambiguity has caused a lot of pain and suffering for colleagues, and we have all decided that it's just not worth it. My advice is to stay in the NP role. Pick up some per diem work as an NP. Do a job search as a locum tenens; most places looking for LT physicians would be happy to have an NP fill some of those slots.

Hope that helps,
    Gretchen