Thread: How to manage your CNAs

Question How to manage your CNAs

I've only been an LPN for 2 months and I'm working 3rd shift in a nursing home. I'm having troubles with the CNAs and learning how to be their supervisor and make sure they are doing their work. I'm still learning how to be a nurse and I'm putting in at least an hour over my scheduled shift just to get all my nursing tasks and charting completed. I don't have down time during the night and I barely find time to take much of a lunch break (required or we get written up). I'm hearing complaints from other CNAs that my CNAs are not getting their work done or completing all that they should during the night. With all that I already am juggling to complete the nursing tasks I really don't have time to baby-sit my CNAs to make sure they are doing their work or follow them around and correct all their mistakes. I wish they would just do what they are supposed to. I'm getting really frustrated and wonder if it is a problem with just this facility or if all facilities have problems with CNAs not doing the work they are supposed to. Any tips on how to motivate the CNAs, how to manage them, how to be sure they are giving proper care, etc??? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Re: How to manage your CNAs

Hi LTC LPN-I work in acute care in a small community hospital and encounter this issue all of the time. Not to downplay your problem, but you can imagine how frustrating it must be to deal with this when you are trying to hang blood, prep patients for the OR, pass meds, do admissions, discharges, etc. We are currently short of nurses, so whoever is charge nurse will usually have a patient assignment also. As luck would have it, the nursing assistant who is assigned to me does not work well, and often cannot be found when you need her. I've had numerous issues with her, even things like fudging vital signs-very dangerous! We can discuss examples of her behavior later if you'd like. First let me say this, please always remember this if nothing else. I have been an RN for just over two years now. I have learned a lot. You worked hard for your license, in time, effort, and money. If you were to lose it, let it be for something you do to lose it, not from someone else making you lose it! From the start of the shift, lay down the ground rules,f/u to ensure the aides are doing what is required, as ultimately you will be responsible. If they don't do what is asked, take it to the next level, that infamous chain of command. Do not fear or feel sorry for it, who will feel sorry for you when you don't hold a license anymore? Stress to them that if they need help, you will be available when you have time to assist, and when you don't they need to use teamwork with each other (aides) to get their work done. Remind them that although you can help them with their duties, you have many duties that they cannot do, and give them examples. Often it helps to clue them in on what you actually do. Some of the aides have it in their heads that nurses only do paperwork or pass pills. I hope you start having a better time of it at work, the work is already stressful enough. Good luck, hope to hear from you and others regarding this.