Thread: Student wondering about ICU

Question Student wondering about ICU

Hi everyone,
    I am an LVN student right now. And am planning on getting my RN as soon as I can after getting my LVN. And ultimately getting my MSN. I was wondering what everyone thought of ICU. I've always heard that its a great place to learn. But it sounds extremly stressful. I was wondering if I can work as an LVN in ICU...and any other advice that you have. I pick up on things very well and cannot wait to start my carreer. Any advice is appriciated! Thank you!!
    Ashley

Re: Student wondering about ICU

I know for a fact Army Medical Centers use LVN's [civilian & military nurses] in their ICU's. My specialty is critical care nursing. I'm assigned to ICU-East at Madigan Army Medical Center, FT Lewis, Tacoma, WA. I have worked Telemetry, OR, and ICU, and by far ICU is my favorite.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Ricu

Re: Student wondering about ICU

Hi Ashley,

Welcome and good luck with your education plans. Over the years, I've worked with LVNs in critical care in several states but it has been some time since that has happened. They were excellent clinical nurses with many years of experience who taught me a lot but things have changed somewhat for the LVN. I imagine that there are a number of factors including state licensing regulations, facility policy and so on which restrict the scope of LVN practice but it has been restricted nonetheless. If you are sure you want to work in critical care, you're on the right track to get a BSN or higher education. Good luck

R