Thread: Case study!

Case study!

Hello to all the nurses!! i have this case study that seems easy yet complicated to think at the same time. hahhaha! i hope to get more opinions here. Please... thank you ^^

History

66 years of age, Mr. Viva lives with his wife. His home is small and he doesn't go out. Has had a cerebral vascular accident 2 years previus with left sided weakness. He is unable to wash, dress and feed without assistance. He is admitted to your ward with a chest infection and pressure sores on the sacrum. Whilst you are taking a nursing history on admission he confides in you that his wife has beaten him on numerous occasions.

my question is, who would you tell?

i wrote first i would inform the senior nurse about this matter and then we will proceed to the ward's sister as well as to the patient's doctor in charge. but i just feel like by giving these answers are not enough.. i think i need to elaborate more on this but i just don't know how to elaborate it. any suggestions?

i urgently need the answer for this. thank you so much!!

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Exclamation Re: Case study!

A nurse in a mandated reporter in matters of abuse and all facilities have a protocol for how suspected abuse should be handled. If a nurse fails to report suspected abuse to the authorities and a death or injury occurs that nurse may lose his/her license on the grounds that they a duty to act and failed to do so. I would of course try to substantiate the patient's claimes. A social worker should be called to talk to both the patient and the care giver. A through physical exam with suspected abuse in mind should be done. Does blood chemistry indicate patient is severly dehydrated. X-rays should be done to look for evidence of new or old fractures, Is there bruising inconsistant with the patient's current condition. If so all injuries need to be documented and photographed lastly does the patient have a history of frequent 911/ER calls and for what. It never hurts to file a suspected abuse report - if an investigation comes back unsubstantiated the social services can still see about getting the caregiver some help and respite for a difficult situation.

Peace and Namaste
    Hppygr8ful

Re: Case study!

wow! thank you happygr8 i thought i am not going to get any reply ^^ yes i agree that we need to report. i just wrote that i will firstly report to the SRN, then to sister of the ward and to their doctor in charge. from there discussions and investigation will will proceed.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Case study!

Yes, there are policies for abuse, etc. We have an elder abuse line that we can contact, also.

'Cat'