Quote Originally Posted by Ricu View Post
Hi again, Rick,

I like the sound of a product that can be removed and restuck without loss of integrity. The added antimicrobial property is also compelling. What have been your research findings on the best preinsertion site prep? Additionally, I'm wondering if the per unit cost of this kit may make it more appropriate for use on IJ,SC or PICC lines which have a longer anticipated dwell time. Contrary to what seems to be your findings, my experience has been that a properly placed Tegaderm product typically lasts a lot longer than 24 hours.

R
Dr. Dennis G. Maki, MD professor of medicine and head of infectious disease at the University Wisconsin-Madison Medical school has said that Chlorhexadine should be used whenever available as the preferred skin prep solution.

Most studies (not ours) in which Tegaderm was tested with IV Securement devices have shown the Tegaderm product to fail within 48 hours vs IV securement devices.

Most institutions right now change the IV's every 72 hours because they do not have any means by which they can extend the IV to the maximum 96 hour dwell time.

I would agree with you that central lines, SC, or IJ, are all typically longer term IV proceedures whereby cost may become a factor, however right now
hospitals are not able to bill for Tegaderm, or tape when seeking reimbursement from insurance companies, so obviously they are seeking the lowest cost solution available.

Conversely if a product were made available that would reduce infections, increase dwell times to the CDC/OSHA guildelines of 96 hours, and the hospital could bill any insurace for reimbursement, the cost would of the product would no longer be an issue, particulary if the product were easier to use, and more comfortable for the patient, and reduced incidence of infection.

Rick