Thread: quick question about drug names

quick question about drug names

My wife is planning on taking the NCLEX in March. She learned the drug names by their brand names. She has heard that they are only using generic names on the test now. Can anyone confirm this?

Thank you for your time and good luck all.

S.

Ricu

Re: quick question about drug names

Quote Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
    My wife is planning on taking the NCLEX in March. She learned the drug names by their brand names. She has heard that they are only using generic names on the test now. Can anyone confirm this?

Thank you for your time and good luck all.

S.
    Hi S,

I can't remember for sure whether or not the NCLEX used generic drug names but think it does. Other certification exams and official journals that I am familiar with generally refer to drugs this way so to be safe, your wife should know the commonly used drugs by both generic and trade names. Good luck.

R

Re: quick question about drug names

thank you very much.

s.

Talking Re: quick question about drug names

I just took it about 6 months ago, I cannot remember for sure but I want to say they use generic followed by the brand name in ( ).
    A word to the wise, my pharmacology book was big on generic names because they are definite while trade names may change and they even may change the drug that is in the medication and still use the trade name. But, in the real world, people seem to use trade names most often, generic are so hard to pronounce!!! Best would be to know both, find some way to connect the two... for example:

generic name - levothyroxine is a thyroid medication brand name - Synthroid

Things like that or sayings... there was some medications you can make a saying...

Lescol in sick, we've got the fluvastatin (Let's call in sick, we've got the flu)
    Generic name: fluvastatin Trade name: Lescol
    Medication is actually for cholesterol... somehow I just remembered that part though.

There was also a disease called Meniere's Disease and I would remember it was to do with the ears because I say it "Many Ears Disease" (Men-i-ere's)

Hope this helps!!!