Thread: LPN's hate the RN

LPN's hate the RN

I work in a long-term care facility where most of the nursing staff is LPN's. Since when does a LPN tell me, a 10 year RN, what to do and how to do it? If you have a gripe about the nursing facility, take it up with management and quit griping to me all day long. I can't do anything about the situation. I didn't force you to work for the company. I am not management and all the bickering and backbiting isn't going to work either.

We have a nurse on nights that hates all day and evening nurses. She will intentionally try to find mistakes made by day and evening shifts, yet her work is left unfinished and pushed onto the day shift. Why all the bickering when you have left the facility for another job 3 times and still have come back to work again? Quit whining, do your job, and quit causing a fuss. You are working at the facility for the residents, and if you can't understand that, then leave and find the ultimate job that you seem to be looking for.

And to the RN who left and came back again. You are too whiney too. I get tired of hearing you complain all the time. You need to take it up with management and let them know how you feel.

To the day nurses. When I work a night shift and you come in 10 minutes late, it puts me behind. I am ready to give you report when you come in the door. Don't pull the assignment sheets and have a seat and start making out CNA assignments when they can look at the book and see what hall they are on. They don't take blood pressures until after lunch anyway, so the sheets can wait until the narcotic count is finished and I have left the building. The DON has already jumped onto all of you for doing this and making the night nurse stay over by 20 minutes or more. Your first priority it to get ME out of the building because I WANT TO GO HOME. I have been there all night long. Next time I work evenings, I am going to come in and do the same thing to you and I bet you change your habits. A major vent.......I will get over it, I promise.

Re: LPN's hate the RN

Porcelina, did you finish building a bridge... so, you could get over it?
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Talking Re: LPN's hate the RN

If you treat those you work with with respect - it goes a long way.Although I have been an RN for about ten years I never assume I have nothing to learn from the LPNs, aides and even the housekeepers. I work in psych with patients that can snap at any moment and become violent. It's very important that the entire team has eachothers back. Our ratios are 18-20 pts, 1 RN, 1LVN or Psych tech, and 2 mental health workers (MHW). Some times people just have a hard day or they complain because it just part of their personality. I always approach such people with humor and I usually get the response I want.

When I started at this facility it was my first experience with psych! I learned so much from the LVNs,psych techs, and MHW's. I always welcomed and respected their input. They in turn grew to respect me. I do have people whine and cry at times, I do it myself, but I have a phenomenal (not sure if I spelled that right) team. Oh I also spring for lunch once a month.

I do agree with you about people being late for work its just plain irresponsible and rude to show up late on a consistant basis. It happens on every shift and everybody wants to go home at the end of their shift. Not just those who have worked all night. It goes two ways though I always arrive at least 10 minutes early often to find that the outgoing shift is not ready to give report and the report I get often tells me nothing. I just pick up and do my job! I truely believe that we cannot change others behavior only how we react to it. People who complain often do it for attention so if you ignore it they slowly start to complain less.

PS on the humor side I once brought a block of cheese to work and gave it to our resident whiner when he asked what it was for I said "I figured you'd like some cheese with your wine!" It was largely wasted because he didn't get it but we had cheese sandwiches for lunch.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

Try to befriend anyone who is giving you a hard time. It'll make life a whole lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by porcelina View Post
    I work in a long-term care facility where most of the nursing staff is LPN's. Since when does a LPN tell me, a 10 year RN, what to do and how to do it? If you have a gripe about the nursing facility, take it up with management and quit griping to me all day long. I can't do anything about the situation. I didn't force you to work for the company. I am not management and all the bickering and backbiting isn't going to work either.

We have a nurse on nights that hates all day and evening nurses. She will intentionally try to find mistakes made by day and evening shifts, yet her work is left unfinished and pushed onto the day shift. Why all the bickering when you have left the facility for another job 3 times and still have come back to work again? Quit whining, do your job, and quit causing a fuss. You are working at the facility for the residents, and if you can't understand that, then leave and find the ultimate job that you seem to be looking for.

And to the RN who left and came back again. You are too whiney too. I get tired of hearing you complain all the time. You need to take it up with management and let them know how you feel.

To the day nurses. When I work a night shift and you come in 10 minutes late, it puts me behind. I am ready to give you report when you come in the door. Don't pull the assignment sheets and have a seat and start making out CNA assignments when they can look at the book and see what hall they are on. They don't take blood pressures until after lunch anyway, so the sheets can wait until the narcotic count is finished and I have left the building. The DON has already jumped onto all of you for doing this and making the night nurse stay over by 20 minutes or more. Your first priority it to get ME out of the building because I WANT TO GO HOME. I have been there all night long. Next time I work evenings, I am going to come in and do the same thing to you and I bet you change your hathings get betterbits. A major vent.......I will get over it, I promise.
    Sorry, about your troubles. I hope things get better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by hppygr8ful View Post
    If you treat those you work with with respect - it goes a long way.Although I have been an RN for about ten years I never assume I have nothing to learn from the LPNs, aides and even the housekeepers. I work in psych with patients that can snap at any moment and become violent. It's very important that the entire team has eachothers back. Our ratios are 18-20 pts, 1 RN, 1LVN or Psych tech, and 2 mental health workers (MHW). Some times people just have a hard day or they complain because it just part of their personality. I always approach such people with humor and I usually get the response I want.

When I started at this facility it was my first experience with psych! I learned so much from the LVNs,psych techs, and MHW's. I always welcomed and respected their input. They in turn grew to respect me. I do have people whine and cry at times, I do it myself, but I have a phenomenal (not sure if I spelled that right) team. Oh I also spring for lunch once a month.

I do agree with you about people being late for work its just plain irresponsible and rude to show up late on a consistant basis. It happens on every shift and everybody wants to go home at the end of their shift. Not just those who have worked all night. It goes two ways though I always arrive at least 10 minutes early often to find that the outgoing shift is not ready to give report and the report I get often tells me nothing. I just pick up and do my job! I truely believe that we cannot change others behavior only how we react to it. People who complain often do it for attention so if you ignore it they slowly start to complain less.

PS on the humor side I once brought a block of cheese to work and gave it to our resident whiner when he asked what it was for I said "I figured you'd like some cheese with your wine!" It was largely wasted because he didn't get it but we had cheese sandwiches for lunch.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy
    I am an LPN and I thank you for your wise comments.

Quote Originally Posted by jacqueanderson1978 View Post
    I am an LPN and I thank you for your wise comments.
    Well that's all I have to say.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

I'd been an LPN for about 17 years...had alot of fun, too. Been an RN for 4 years. In that time, have seen both decent LPN's and RN's, and some 'not too swift on the uptake' ones, either.

I do agree with the OP's stance that the on-coming nurses should help get the off going nurse out the door. Hey, I am sure the oncoming nurses are scrambling out the doors when it's THEIR turn to leave.....

My 2 cent's worth.

You are a 10 year RN, but do you have as much experience as the LPN in the area? When I was a new RN, I also learned a whole bunch from my LPN with 20 years of experience. I admittedly had to pull rank on her a time or two, because she could overstep her bounds, yet, I listened to her expertise, not necessarily her opinions. She had her bad habits, but I learned from the good things she did offer. If she is just being bossy, then that is an entirely different issue. Sometimes one has to stand their ground. Pick your battles. Some aren't worth a fight.

As far as the late day people. Take the assignment sheets and place them with your report clipboard or narc count sheet. If the manager is so upset about your getting out late, then she needs to have a little "come to Jesus" meeting to get them on the right track. I am a manager, and some days I have to intervene.

As far as the night shift person hating the day shift people, that is a old battle never to be won. My response to those is worry about your job, do the best you can and get on with it. If someone is doing that bad of a job, they will be found out.

Wink Re: LPN's hate the RN

Of course we can all learn SOMETHING from EVERYONE, but you are correct... LPN's should not be "telling" you "how to do your job." Or questioning your intelligence, Right? You earned your degree with your knowledge. On the other hand, I believe some RN's are not up to key on all the aspects of care because they aren't always directly involved. I don't know what the case is where you work. Anyway, I understand your frustrations. I have been challenged by UNLICENSED personnel... Not LPNs. That is far more frustrating. And had a DON that would not back me up when I tried to correct the problem. So double the fun! Anyway, keep your chin up, smile and nod... As hard as that seems, it works when people are trying to override your authority. They see you as pleasant realize that they aren't bothering you and that takes the pleasure out of it for them! Good luck!