Thread: Nursing Licensure Compact/Multi State License Questions

I am not familiar with how the State Boards of Nursing that are Compact/Multi License States work. If someone can tell me a little more info on how it works that has had experiences with this I would appreciate.

Here is my situation and perhaps there is some good advice out there. I have a RN license in Iowa (compact state) and in Indiana (not compact but working on it). I live in Indiana so that is my "home state" is my understanding according to the Compact rules. My understanding is that I can hold both a single state license in these states because I live in a Non-Compact State.

I am interested in Traveling Nuring. So if I move my state of residence back to Iowa and get up housekeeping there and pay taxes and all that good stuff, would I then get a Compact State License through Iowa instead of a Single State License? Would I then be able as to sign up as a Traveling Nurse and travel to the 20 some Compact Nursing States under that Iowa license without getting a new license everytime I traveled to a new state to work so long as I stayed in one of the Compact participating states?

I would love to travel, but the thought of having to get a single state license in god knows how many states to work seems like a nightmare I simply do not want to face. If I understand things correctly if I move back to Iowa and get a Compact License I could then freely travel and work in those various compact states without all the nightmare of multiple single state licenses???

Can anyone further discuss this that has knowledge or experience with this? If my understanding is correct its a no brainer...move back to Iowa! I would appreciate some help, insight and advise on this one.

Also, if you have good recommendations for traveling nurse agency's that treat their people good and have good selections of assignments I would be interested in hearing those recommendations too.

Thanks guys.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Compact/Multi State License Questions

Here is a list of the Compact States as of February 2006. I would check with the individual State Boards of Nursing about their rules and regs.

Arizona
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Idaho
    Iowa
    Maine
    Maryland
    Mississippi
    Nebraska
    New Hampshire

New Mexico
    North Carolina