Thread: Anatomy and Physiology

Anatomy and Physiology

Hi, my university is sending me to Zambia during the Fall of 07 to study abroad and I won't be able to take a science course. I just finished gen chem and this semester I'm taking biochemistry. My question is, would it be foolish to take both A&P 1 and 2 in summer school. That way I could start microbiology in Spring of -8 when I return and I won't be behind. What do you all who have "been there, done that" think? Is A&P too important to cram into 2-3 months or can I spare it?

thank you so much!
    Kristin

Re: Anatomy and Physiology

well if you can find a good study guide or cd-rom for it then it might be ok. the key is to know how to study. is there a cd-rom out there that has practice or review questions for you to learn? i learn best by being asked questions. that tells me what to look for or what's important. when i took it in school the instructor gave us a printout of what we needed to study for the test. so i knew exactly what i had to know for the test. if you're familiar with the saunders nclex prep books they come with a cd-rom that has practice or review questions hundreds of them. my med surg book i needed for excelsior also had a cd-rom like that. wow zambia. what and where will you work there?
    in order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't mearly try to train him to be semi-human. the point is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly dog. :o

Thanks for your post, it was very helpful. Besides, being a nurse is being a lifelong learner so doing some extra work for A&P shouldn't be a problem. I'm going to Zambia for a semester but I'll still be in school. The univeristy I go to has 8 international campuses. I'm going to be working in orphanages and clinics, but I'll be more like an extra set of hands. I'm really excited about this opportunity. I'll come back with a "ready-made" minor in health care missions. Anywho, thanks again for your input, I'll lok into it!

Kristin

IMHO, taking A&P 1 and 2 during the summer sessions is doable if your not working, nor taking any other courses at the same time. A&P requires a lot of "out of the classroom" study time. I've not taken A&P during the summer sessions. However, I've taken other college courses during the summer sessions and found most of the students & instructors their were the one's that really cared about learning.

Good luck in your studies, as well as your time in Zambia.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

I think it can be done. I have taken full loads during both of my summers during nursing school and have done fairly well(I am going into my last semester). Take in mind that the summer session is short and that alone requires extra time outside of school. A&P in itself is pretty demanding but fun and interesting if taught by the right instructor. Good Luck!