Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: problems with CNA's/PCA's

problems with CNA's/PCA's

Hi guys Im new to this forum and I hope its ok for me to complain about my night. I REALLY need an outlet. lol. I was wondering if anyone else goes through this. I am a 12-hr night-shifter on a med/surg floor. Last night was one of the worst nights ever. I had 7 patients, which I can handle easily (Ive had up to 11). But I had 2 units PRBC to transfuse, 1 pt with Cerebral Palsy and C-Diff who was TOTAL care and needed oral sx about q hour with Tubefeeds going per PEG, 2 one post-op pts (one running a temp with sats in low 80's and the other with neuro checks q 2 hours), 3 others with temps, and 5 patients needed fingersticks q 4 hours. On top of having to call docs about the temps and sats, I was having to do my vitals, fingersticks, I/O's, transfusion vitals, ALL my turns c skin care and oral care, and the additional temps that needed to be done due to the fevers. All this was on top of everything else I had to do. All the assistants did all night was the 04:30blood draws. If we ask for help they usually get mad (they dont have time). The assistant on my side left at 07:00 and 06:00 fingersticks still werent done. Assistants complain about their work in front of patients, which makes the patients feel like a burden. Do any of you have this same problem? Please dont think I am slamming assistants, Ive worked with some GREAT assistants with excellent teamwork. BTW, this site looks awesome. Its nice to have somewhere to go with people who can understand.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: problems with CNA's/PCA's

:frustrated: Geez! I would be on writeup mode, for sure. For the most part, I have some decent aides; yeah, there are a few I'd love to get rid of. Only way, though, is starting the write up policy.

One question....if they were 'too busy'and 'didn't have time' to help you when needed, what were they doing?

'Cat'

They went downstairs to smoke or they were on ebay. One was reading a newspaper. If a patient calls out wanting help to go to the bathroom, they say things like "why dont these people just go to sleep!" or "will you give them a drug to make them sleep!" Honestly! Its sad. Today I picked up some job applications. I hate to leave but I cant work like this. I will miss my patients (we have some 'frequent flyers'). I have gotten used to them and attached to them. Thanks for your reply.

Understand completely. I had a CNA tell me he was to busy to transfer a pt. from my ER to the floor for admission, which by the way is the CNA's duty here. Of course he was busy, he was on the phone with his girlfriend and playing on the internet. I don't like to pull rank unless totally necessary, so I just did it myself, but I get really frustrated when I ask for assistance and am told no, by the CNA or LPN. I have days where I have stated, I'm not asking, I'm telling, do it. I am the ER and I override anyone else here. So, been there. 99

I once walked into a patient's room and found the CNA on the patient's telephone having a private conversation!!!! :firedup: She had all the blankets and sheets on the floor and looked up at me as I came in the door like the figured we all did that!! I about went apesh**! I was a fairly new nurse but I did know right from wrong. I wrote that babe up---using the pts phone was bad, but disrespecting him and leaving him naked on the bed, helpless and cold, while she ran her mouth on the phone---that was absolutely unacceptable. I never saw her again. I didn't intend to get her fired, but my patient's needs will always come before some babe who has a bone to pick with her boyfriend!!
    Hang in there,
    Jessica in WA
    :luck: Nursing is tough work; but the rewards are endless...

This is not always true, but I've found the best PCA's are the ones also in nursing school.

... my 2 cents
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

I agree with Cougar...write them up or approach administration about the problem. If nothing gets sorted out, then I would think about moving on. It is very sad, but at the end of the day you must think about your own sanity.

chenoaspirit; Give us an update. :39:
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

I too am new to this forum. I am a fairly new nurse and I am still learning myself although before becoming a nurse I worked for years as a CNA. I totally share your sentiments. I work the Med/Surg floor and we have what we call Huc/Techs meaning they work as ward secretaries and other days are scheduled to work the floor as a tech or another words a CNA. The problem is once they sit behind the desk they never want to leave even when scheduled a CNA that day. The desk area is like the town hall meeting place and too much talk goes on that they dont want to miss out on. When I do ask for help which I rarely do there are some that boldy tell me to do it myself. We are a tobacco free facility but they still sneak out with the floor charge nurse to smoke and leave the floor uncovered. I share your frustrations.

i'm an er nurse and i feel the same...majority are knowledgablable but don't give a rip....a few are good and feel like me{frustrated and exhausted}..and here in the south i get the ole your the rn and get paid all that money...so they answer phones fine/do computer work fine and bring back pts. to rooms to be seen and maybe can get them in a gown..that's iffy....but when it comes down to their jobs,,like getting urines/transporting pt./cleaning up pts/stocking....it don't happen unless you directly tell them to...i feel your pain..i don't care what i did for a living;i'd want to do it right and have a little respect for myself....needless to say;i'm not their favorite nurse:frustrated: :frustrated:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast