Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Incentive Spirometer decrease a temp?

Does Incentive Spirometer decrease a temp?

Ive been taught that it does, but a doc told a patient that was hogwash. Ive been told by other docs to have patients do it for a temp. Ive seen it work (I think), not sure if it was the IS that did it. I know it is used to decrease risk for pneumonia, but temp? Does anyone know for sure? Thanks.

Re: Does Incentive Spirometer decrease a temp?

Maybe as a secondary benefit?
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Ricu

Because hypoventilation and atelectasis are some of the most common issues plaguing the acutely ill hospital patient and predispose him/her to pneumonia, Sustained Maximal Inflation or SMI therapy is first line treatment. Incentive spirometry is a widely used patient driven modality and has been for many years. There are others too but they all basically promote lung expansion and mobilize secretions. During my career as a respiratory therapist I found that more than half of the time, the device is confusing for the patient and I was moved to just coach the deep breathing and coughing. After all, it's not mastery of the tool that gives the benefit, it's the breathing and causing the patient undue frustration is counterproductive.

R

Quote Originally Posted by Ricu View Post
    Because hypoventilation and atelectasis are some of the most common issues plaguing the acutely ill hospital patient and predispose him/her to pneumonia, Sustained Maximal Inflation or SMI therapy is first line treatment. Incentive spirometry is a widely used patient driven modality and has been for many years. There are others too but they all basically promote lung expansion and mobilize secretions. During my career as a respiratory therapist I found that more than half of the time, the device is confusing for the patient and I was moved to just coach the deep breathing and coughing. After all, it's not mastery of the tool that gives the benefit, it's the breathing and causing the patient undue frustration is counterproductive.

R
    Yes, however the IS provides a gauge [marker] for which the patient & nurse can use to indicate progress. Progress for the patient can further provide motivation & continued recovery... thus the IS is a very productive tool. Yet, I do agree the practice of turn/cough/deep breathing is very productive, as well.

Back to the main topic; Has anyone read evidenced based literature on the IS lowering the patient's temperature?
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Who has time to READ, pray tell???? My line of thinking is based on clinical experience only, and yes, I have seen that it works and doesn't work; I'd say 50-50. One pt had a temp of 103, I called the Doc and he told me to get him up and walk him around the unit x3, and, lo and behold, his temp was back to normal. Gotta agree that anything expanding the lungs must work, and I promote C&DB AT LEAST once every shift!

Member Extraordinaire

IS does work in the long run but not immediately. When I was hospitalized in Nov they would take my temp and it would be up then ask me to do the IS and take temp again immediately it doesn't work that fast.

Ricu

IS is and does all of those things so long as the primary cause of the temp is stasis issues. IS won't treat other causes of fever, like a septic gallbladder which is why we look at the complete picture.

R

I've always thought it worked, but I've never read any lit on it myself. I still think it's a good idea to do it even if it doesn't reduce all fevers.
    Michelle RN-BSN, CSW
    ER - 1 year
    Peds - 8 years
    PACU - just starting

I would like to know about reasearch studies on this topic.
    IS is defiately benifical, but I wonder if it any more benificial than walk walk walk cough cogh cough!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cassioo View Post
    IS does work in the long run but not immediately. When I was hospitalized in Nov they would take my temp and it would be up then ask me to do the IS and take temp again immediately it doesn't work that fast.

ACTUALLY IS DOES!!! Your lungs are like a radiator in a car, if you will, and the increased inspiratory effort, done repeatedly absolutely will help decrease temp. Now that may be temporary, but I've seen drop as much as 2.5 degrees in 30minutes, with good effort. Get your car stuck in traffic on a hot day, kind of like being on bedrest, the radiator doesn't get good airflow, likewise, laying in bed, with minimal exertion, and minimal resp. effort, equals poor air flow through the lungs. Incentive Spirometry is one of the best ways to get your patient to "blow" off his/her temp, but it DOES REQUIRE GOOD EFFORT!!!
    RN, BSN, PCCN, ACLS-EP Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast