Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Student concern w/obtaining 1st license

Question Student concern w/obtaining 1st license

Here's my situation:

I am beginning nursing school this fall (07) for either 2 years (ADN) or 3 (BSN). Haven't heard back from all the schools I applied to yet so I'm not sure which it will be. I am 50 years old.

I am a recovering alcoholic. I have no DUIs or record of any kind. I had 8 years of sobriety and then had a slip for several months duration this summer. By the time I get out of nursing school I will have close to 3 or 4 years sober.

My concern is related to the questions on nursing licenses re: use of alcohol and how the BON handles them. Generally, the questions ask about the past 5 years, so my relapse will fall within that time frame.

Does anyone know how the BONs handle these types of circumstances? Will I be denied a license. Will there be some sort of indication on my license about my past alcohol abuse? Will I have to face some sort of inquisition on the board? Etc Etc...

I would really appreciate any experiences you may have heard about, or perhaps you yourself have had.

I'm working AA...documenting my meeting attendance (on the advice of a nurse friend of mine who used to serve on the CO BON), and otherwise looking forward to my new career and continued sobriety.

I wonder what to expect...will my potential employer have access to my past, etc, etc. How does all this work...from some of the posts, the BONs seem pretty ominous and unforgiving. Yes??

I will go to school in CO, ID, OR, or WA. Thanks guys for your help.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Student concern w/obtaining 1st license

Fuzzie, schools are pretty cool about things, but the BON has the ultimate say. However, you are an active member of AA, so I doubt you will have any problems. You will have to disclose on your license app.... I wish you luck, and keep us posted!

'Cat'

I am also in recovery and am working to get my RN back after losing it 14 years ago for diversion of narcotics. What I have come to know for myself after all this time is that honesty is the best policy. I would self-disclose and have people who know you in AA write letters of their knowledge of your ongoing sobriety and involvement in the 12 steps. The board may want you to get a drug/alcohol evaluation which, other than your slip would document good, solid recovery for you. I lie when I have something to hide, I used to lie all the time and I just can't live my life that way anymore. Just my opinion.

Good luck to you and God Bless...

Karen:luck: :luck

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Fuzzie, I give you alot of credit for asking your question. And Karen? I give you credit for being honest, also. Personally, I would think this would be a benefit in your becoming licensed.

'Cat'

Karen and cougarnurse,

Thanks for replying. I have every intention of being honest on my application...although, believe it or not, I have even been advised by someone in the peer assistance program at the BON to NOT answer that question in the positive if I feel I am doing well in my program (AA). This person said that they would never find out unless I have a DUI.

That advice gives me pause. I'm thinking...why would he say that unless the experience with the BON would be expected to be negative for me???

This really has me concerned about the BON in general. The threads on this forum lead me to believe that they are, or can be, malicious, autocratic, and inflexible. This has me worried.

Karen...what, pray tell, is a drug/alcohol evaluation????

My friend who has served on the BON says I should be silent on the matter as well. In her opinion, 8 years of sobriety with several months of controlled drinking does not warrant disclosure of ANY kind. She says they will make my life hell!!! Not something I really wanted to hear.

Thoughts?? Opinions?? Experiences?? Anyone?
    Reality is the leading cause of stress among those who are in touch with it. -Jane Wagner

BTW...I appreciate the support cougar and Karen.
    Reality is the leading cause of stress among those who are in touch with it. -Jane Wagner

I have to agree with your friend. If you have no criminal record, no DUI's, no record of arrest or disciplinary action associated with your nursing career then DONT SAY A WORD! Dont disclose this info as it's not any different then disclosing a medical problem if you have no criminal or disciplinary action. It's noones business. You go to AA so what, if you dont tell them then they have no way to know. If you disclose to them for no reason but to "get it off your chest" then you are opening yourself up to having to undergo all the BS the Bon's love to put someone through if they even have an inkling you may "relapse" then all thier programs cost you the $ for forced rehab etc and then NO JOB while your initially going through it. Not to mention the severely faulty ETG testing many bon's now use and swear by. I think you can get more info at http://www.voy.com/140037/ as its a site that is directed towards these issues. Again if you have no legal record of disciplinary action then you have no reason to disclose anything to the BON regarding your personal life. Dont jeopardize what you have worked hard to get!

Hey PutOut...

Honestly...after reading all of this BS I'm about ready to hang it up! What a bunch of c***. The boards seem outta control. Do they know that we are human beings and not automatons???

I am thinking about finishing up my BS and then trying for nursing school again when I can honestly answer NO to any of those BS questions. I'm feeling pretty PO'd myself!

I understand your frustration with the subject but dont throw in the towel yet. If you can financially do so and go finish up your BSN then do so. Finish up when you feel you are ready to do so and also comfortable with your recovery. It is a shame as I have seen many a nurses do just that and give it up. I did myself for several years and I wasnt disciplined for diversion or impairment. You wouldnt believe what they took my license for 4 months and then 2 years probation for. Along with required classes etc and a $500.00 civil penalty. I also had to random ua for all of it also. I simply didnt call the doc while working nights in the ICU at 4 am to get an order to give a pt mylanta in lieu of Maalox!! Maalox was his standard orders and pt refused it as he preferred mylanta. It was my NCM that made the stink and not the doc actually. The doc had no issue with this and made no complaint. I had been questioning some of the risk this NCM was taking with staffing only 1 RN and no techs on nights in a 4 bed Burn ICU along with lousy documentation procedures. Basically it was retalitory. Talk about dumbing ourselves down. Now I know take the cursing out at 4am instead LOL. I have been a strong advocate ever since in relation to protection of our licensures and most nurses dont have a clue just how fragile that license can be. Good luck on your recovery and please dont chuck your desire to be a nurse. Actually your experiences may make you a better nurse then you believe and you can be a strong advocate down the road for changes that need to be made in the BON's.

Hi PutOut

I read your post and the replies on the VOY site. WOW!!! Who do these folks think they are anyway. I thought the politics and abuse was bad in the airline industry. It sounds like it REALLY sucks in the nursing profession. Honestly, I don't know if that is what I want for myself.

Good luck to you...I'm calling the BONs in 3 states tomorrow to discuss (anonymously) my history and to see what my conditions of licensure (if able to get licensed) would be.

Power corrupts...and it sounds like it has done just that if the BONs are as ruthless and unreasonable as the majority of the vast numbers of posts indicate.

What a way to live...I want to help people...but I want my serenity also....doesn't sound like nursing offers that anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast