Thread: Returning to nursing after losing license...anybody else?

Smile Returning to nursing after losing license...anybody else?

I am in WA state and lost my RN license after diverting narcotics and drinking. This happened in 1995. I have since gotten clean and am going through the process of completing the things the nursing board has told me to do to get it reinstated. I am going to start the online RN Refresher course fron Washington State University in Pullman. Is there anyone else who is doing or has done the same thing and would like to talk? I have to do a drug and alcohol evaluation (I've been clean for 12 years) and follow their recommendations and report to the nurse recovery program we have here. I'm really excited but very nervous! I've been out of nursing for a long time, but not out of the medical field. Please email me with any help, comments or encouragement. I would really appreciate it!!!

Thanks again,

Karen:

Can I get my license back?

Hi Karen, I am from Mississippi. I have just decided to try to get my license reinstated. Still waiting to hear from board. Hard to get them to call me back. My license was revoked about 4 years ago. I was devestated, went through severe depression. I do not do drugs (haven't for over 5 years, don't drink, quit smoking 1 yr ago. My life has changed, I am ready to see what it takes to get my license back.

Back then, I refused the order of board. Depression got to me, I fell in a hole. I believe their orders to be unfair. I surrendered my license. Back then I tested + for amphetamines. I had taken one of my sisters diet pills, phetermine I believe. Tested + again 6 months later. I screwed up! Then a couple months later another +. This was a lab error. I was clean. Couldn;t prove it. They wanted me to go through 90 day in house rehab, etc. etc. etc. etc I was depressed. I made a mistake. I am no longer depressed. I am a brand new person, new life, new everything.

I was wondering is there a chance I can get my license back?

Re: Returning to nursing after losing license...anybody else?

HI,
    I am new to this site, but I would like to start off by thanking you for giving me hope that there could be a possibility of me regaining a nursing career. I surrendered my RN license in February of 2005, and I have no clue about the reality of ever getting it back. I know that I am not in the same state as you, but hearing that you were able to get your licence back after 12 years of sobriety gives me hope. Way to go! Thank you and good luck, I wish you the best in your nursing success.

Determined to Succeed,
    lostRN

Karen...

Hello hello...I'm in Washington state as well and curious if you were successful in getting your license reinstated. I lost mine last fall when I sent the paperwork in 1 day too late, and was suspended due to default. When I wrote to protest, the reaffirmed their decision since I stated I was going through a very stressful time...moving, getting injured on the job, then being fired after LNI accepted my claim, no income, my exemployer claiming my injury never happened(thank God for my witness!!!) and so on....ARGH!!! Things are much better now, seeing someone I can "talk" to and properly medicated for my depression I hit when things fell apart.

Just truly hoping there's others out there that got ahead and able to succeed in their career. This is my calling, and I feel a part of myself is lost with out my license.

Hope to hear success stories soon.

Cheers and blessings,
    jeni

Talking Re: Returning to nursing after losing license...anybody else?

Hello Karen and all here!

I am also new to this site. My wife found this link! Well, my story should be included here. It is a long one but will try to make it brief. I lost my license in Dec. of 2003 in Arizona. It was based on one event, primarily. I worked in ICU and I gave a lady Phenergan for nausea at 3:30 in the morning without a signed doctors order with the intention of having him sign for it when he made his early am rounds before I left my shift. As it turned out he came later that morning after I left. When giving report to the next shift I told the nursing assuming the patient's care about this and asked her to be sure the doc signed for the order. She did not seem at all uneasy with this. As it turned out, she was so uneasy with it she wrote me up!! To make a long story short.....this led to my license being revoked.

I had to wait for 5 years to be eligible to re-apply for my license. I did this and they re-instated my license last June. I am a resident now of Washington state but had to get my license cleared there before Washington would give me one here. Finally after nearly a 6 month wait here, they will give me a license to practice in Washington......based on a 3 year probation!!!!! I am shocked about this considering that Arizona only asked me to complete the RN refresher course at Washington State University. I have had to wait all these months to get a temp. license here so I can complete the 145 hours of clinical to finish the refresher course. My fear now is that since the Washington Nursing Commission (state board) has "labeled" me with probation, will this scare any one away from hiring me? I am an excellent nurse according to all my past colleagues which are in Arizona and California ( I traveled for 18 months there prior to having my license revoked in Arizona) but no one knows me in Washington yet as I have not practiced here. I feel that if someone will just give me that first chance here, I will be OK. After a few months of proving myself, the probation label will be purely to appease the system here in Washington. It has been a very hard road over the past 8 years as I feel in my heart I did not deserve all this! I am so very ready to return to my career. I have 23 years of ICU/CCU experience so I have seen and done everything! I have so much I want to give back to my career.

Should I appeal Washington's decision to probate me for 3 years?

I would love your feedback,

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by thrumylense View Post
    Hello Karen and all here!

I am also new to this site. My wife found this link! Well, my story should be included here. It is a long one but will try to make it brief. I lost my license in Dec. of 2003 in Arizona. It was based on one event, primarily. I worked in ICU and I gave a lady Phenergan for nausea at 3:30 in the morning without a signed doctors order with the intention of having him sign for it when he made his early am rounds before I left my shift. As it turned out he came later that morning after I left. When giving report to the next shift I told the nursing assuming the patient's care about this and asked her to be sure the doc signed for the order. She did not seem at all uneasy with this. As it turned out, she was so uneasy with it she wrote me up!! To make a long story short.....this led to my license being revoked.

I had to wait for 5 years to be eligible to re-apply for my license. I did this and they re-instated my license last June. I am a resident now of Washington state but had to get my license cleared there before Washington would give me one here. Finally after nearly a 6 month wait here, they will give me a license to practice in Washington......based on a 3 year probation!!!!! I am shocked about this considering that Arizona only asked me to complete the RN refresher course at Washington State University. I have had to wait all these months to get a temp. license here so I can complete the 145 hours of clinical to finish the refresher course. My fear now is that since the Washington Nursing Commission (state board) has "labeled" me with probation, will this scare any one away from hiring me? I am an excellent nurse according to all my past colleagues which are in Arizona and California ( I traveled for 18 months there prior to having my license revoked in Arizona) but no one knows me in Washington yet as I have not practiced here. I feel that if someone will just give me that first chance here, I will be OK. After a few months of proving myself, the probation label will be purely to appease the system here in Washington. It has been a very hard road over the past 8 years as I feel in my heart I did not deserve all this! I am so very ready to return to my career. I have 23 years of ICU/CCU experience so I have seen and done everything! I have so much I want to give back to my career.

Should I appeal Washington's decision to probate me for 3 years?

I would love your feedback,

Rick
    Based on what you have shared here, I definitely would consult with a lawyer that has BON experience. I do wonder why AZ revoked for 5 yrs based on a single incident and not a serious offense,,, in fact a very minor offense... if the only thing wrong was not having a doctors signature after getting his verbal or telephone order to give phenergan>>

This is inself should never have occirred, and for 5 yrs is very excessive. Why such severe action??

What was WA's reason for a 3 yr probation? What is involved with the probation? do you have to inform employers, submit reports, have work restrictions??

Another issue to look into is the OIG list. If you are on it for the revocation, you need to submit papers for removal before working as a nurse.

First of all, I need a couple of clarifications.......

"I definitely would consult with a lawyer that has BON experience"......What do you mean by "BON" experience and secondly what do you mean by
    "Another issue to look into is the OIG list".....what do you mean by "OIG" list?

Thanks!
    "We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace."

Rick,

It is essential to seek legal counsel only from an attorney who specializes in administrative law, and has indepth knowledge regarding your states BON regulations, and Nurse Practice Act. These lawyers are also called Healthcare lawyers.There are not many lawyers in this field, and they are pricery, but well worth it especially in cases like yours.

If you want some help finding someone, I would be willing to do some online research for you.

As far as the OIG.. this is a federal list that excludes individulas who have had licenses either suspended or revoked due to discipline and impacts the ability to work for ANY employer who receives medicare and medicaid reimbursement.

Here is a link that explains it in detail:

Exclusions Program | Office of Inspector General

Here is a link to do a self search:

HHS-OIG-Fraud Prevention & Detection - Exclusion Program - Search

please feel free to contact me privately if you would like some more help.

Quote Originally Posted by karen manners View Post
    I am in WA state and lost my RN license after diverting narcotics and drinking. This happened in 1995. I have since gotten clean and am going through the process of completing the things the nursing board has told me to do to get it reinstated. I am going to start the online RN Refresher course fron Washington State University in Pullman. Is there anyone else who is doing or has done the same thing and would like to talk? I have to do a drug and alcohol evaluation (I've been clean for 12 years) and follow their recommendations and report to the nurse recovery program we have here. I'm really excited but very nervous! I've been out of nursing for a long time, but not out of the medical field. Please email me with any help, comments or encouragement. I would really appreciate it!!!

Thanks again,

Karen:
    It looks to me like no one here took any interest in this. I really would like to know how it turned out.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working
    I hope for more follow up, too, but.........