Thread: Getting LPN while doing BSN..help!

Getting LPN while doing BSN..help!

I'm a senior in high school right now and I will be going to the University of Michigan next year for their 4 year BSN program. I was planning on taking a course this summer from our community college to become a CNA so I could maybe work a little while in college to make money, as well as gain some experience in health care. However, I realized that an LPN only requires one year of schooling and makes quite a bit of money. Is it possible to get your LPN while doing your BSN at the university? Would it be too much work, or could I simply use some of the credits from my first year in the BSN program and then take a few extras during the summer or something like that? I realize that nursing school is tough and there's not many opportunties to work because of clinical...but I'm really just wondering if it is possible to become an LPN during your first year of undergrad?

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Getting LPN while doing BSN..help!

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney2163 View Post
    I'm a senior in high school right now and I will be going to the University of Michigan next year for their 4 year BSN program. I was planning on taking a course this summer from our community college to become a CNA so I could maybe work a little while in college to make money, as well as gain some experience in health care. However, I realized that an LPN only requires one year of schooling and makes quite a bit of money. Is it possible to get your LPN while doing your BSN at the university? Would it be too much work, or could I simply use some of the credits from my first year in the BSN program and then take a few extras during the summer or something like that? I realize that nursing school is tough and there's not many opportunties to work because of clinical...but I'm really just wondering if it is possible to become an LPN during your first year of undergrad?

Hi, Courthney! As an Rn who did the LPN to BSN route, here is my take:

Over here, one needs to be a CNA before doing Clinicals. However, it IS a good way to learn basic skills. As for the LPN route, schools DO accept most credits toward the BSN. I would NOT recommend doing the LPN route while going through the BSN program, though. One or the other.... If it is for financial reasons, go for your LPN first THEN go on for your BSN.

:luck:

"Cat"

If you're already in a BSN program, I'd become a CNA or Unit Secretary (in a hospital) while you were going to school. Both will give you a firsthand perspective of how a nursing unit runs, and a CNA will get you accustomed to working with patients which takes some time to get used to.

If you try to do both the LPN and the BSN program, unless you are an excellent student with lots of time, and money is not an issue, you'll risk flunking out of both programs.

Why spend the money to two nursing degrees, when you'll only use the LPN until you graduate the BSN program?

Both the CNA and Unit Secretary (or phlebotomy, etc there are other options in a hospital) will give you above average pay and typically full benefits even at part-time.

You can learn more about CNA programs here:

http://www.nursefriendly.com/cna

Andrew Lopez, RN
    NursingA2Z.com, Nursefriendly Nursing & Healthcare Directories

You really should check with your 'State Board of Nursing' website. I know in the state of Missouri a 'RN' student (ADN) in there 2nd year (or after completing the nursing fundamentals, Pediatrics, and OB courses) of of school can challenge the LPN boards and if they pass can finish out there 2nd school year of RN school as an LPN. As for a BSN program I know a lot of times you don't start the 'nursing' classes until after your 1st, sometimes 2nd year of school.

LPN school was great for me, lots of clinical experience, however... its a headache afterwards trying to go back to school because some hospitals really could give a rats ass about you in the end and sometimes won't work around your school schedule. This seems to be quite true in facilities that are extremely short staffed.

My hospital, thank god, is all about education... so I typically only work Thurs-Sun and have Mon-Wed off allowing me to take around 16-20 hours a semester.

It honest depends on how you want to take it.. some universities have a LPN to BSN bridge...
    J. Tworoger, LPN
    Medical-Surgical
    Emergency Department
    Currently Overloaded RN Student