Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: compact state licensing question

Question compact state licensing question

If I have a permanent residence in a non-compact state, and I take a travel assignment in a compact state, am I then able to work any compact state with just that license?:39:

Re: compact state licensing question

I have been looking into that because I had the same question.
    Go apply for a compact state license, I was told to get South Carolina because it was the cheapest, then you can work in any compact state with a south carolina license.
    :luck:

I'm pretty sure that you have to be living in the compact state for this to work. I live in Virginia which is a compact state so I can pratice nursing within states that are in the compact. When I first got my license I applied for a Tennessee state license which is also a compact state. The license allowed me to practice in TN only...it said so right on the license (valid only in Tennessee). Shortly after I passed NCLEX my resident state of VA joined the nursing compact. I received a letter about 1 month after successfully passing NCLEX in TN stating that my license would expire in TN and I needed to obtain a license in my home state because of the compact rules. So in short you need to have a residence in a compact state before you license is recognized by other states.

Red face Re: compact state licensing question

I checked into that some time ago. I found out that you have to be initially licensed in a compact state to be able to work in another compact state. I live in LA and thought if I got a license in TX then I would be able to go anywhere.....STOP! I was told no thats not possible, so I just ended that endeavor right there. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I was pretty upset about it. But, please correct me if you find information different from mine.

I got some new information from a recruiter about compact state licensing. If you get your original license in a compact state then you can go to any compact state and work. Then she told me if I worked for 1 year in a compact state making it my residence for a year then I can travel. Not to sure on how much work that would be. Hopefully most states will become compact and we would not have to deal with all these licenses.

justatraveler

Quote Originally Posted by sydnesue View Post
    I got some new information from a recruiter about compact state licensing. If you get your original license in a compact state then you can go to any compact state and work. Then she told me if I worked for 1 year in a compact state making it my residence for a year then I can travel. Not to sure on how much work that would be. Hopefully most states will become compact and we would not have to deal with all these licenses.

Please remember these recruiters are making money on YOU. Be informed on your own. www.ncsbn.org

justatraveler

It has nothing to do with original licensure. It has to do with your state residence. I live in Maine I am licensed in Maine. If you look me up on the MSBN you will find my license listed as Multi State Licensure. If I move from Maine to say PA and make that my residence state I have to obtain a PA license. PA is not compact. If I choose to keep my Maine license it will go to a Maine license only. I would no longer have a compact license.

And it's not just working in a state a year. You have to be a resident of that state. Also, you would lose you home state tax advantage and all your travel pay would be taxed. You would also have to keep up your previous state license to practice in that state.

Quote Originally Posted by justatraveler View Post
    It has nothing to do with original licensure. It has to do with your state residence. I live in Maine I am licensed in Maine. If you look me up on the MSBN you will find my license listed as Multi State Licensure. If I move from Maine to say PA and make that my residence state I have to obtain a PA license. PA is not compact. If I choose to keep my Maine license it will go to a Maine license only. I would no longer have a compact license.

And it's not just working in a state a year. You have to be a resident of that state. Also, you would lose you home state tax advantage and all your travel pay would be taxed. You would also have to keep up your previous state license to practice in that state.
    Guess I should have been alittle more clearer here. I have multi state license also and none in a compact state. I have received a bunch of different info on compact state license by recruiters. Go to the compact state website and you will find all the info you or anyone wants. That is where you will find the truth. You can work in the compact state a year MAKING IT YOUR PERMANENT RESIDENCE AND YES YOU WILL LOSE YOUR HOME STATE TAX ADVANTAGE.

justatraveler

Guess I should have been alittle more clearer here. I have multi state license also and none in a compact state. I have received a bunch of different info on compact state license by recruiters. Go to the compact state website and you will find all the info you or anyone wants. That is where you will find the truth. You can work in the compact state a year MAKING IT YOUR PERMANENT RESIDENCE AND YES YOU WILL LOSE YOUR HOME STATE TAX ADVANTAGE.
    Honey. :frustrated: I'm the one who gave you the site. I've been there a few times. As soon as you sign up or KNOW you will be working in a state other than your tax home state every penny or stipend or reimbursement you get from your travel company will be taxable.
    You don't have to work in a compact state a year for it to be your residence state. Actually if YOU read the site you have to change your licensure within 30 days of moving to the new state.

:luck: :luck: :luck: Keep believing these 20 year old recruiters who've never even stepped into a hospital and aren't licensed nurses.

I bet they told you there is a 50 mile rule to get perdiem money. That's not an IRS rule though. It's a hospital or travel company rule.

Quote Originally Posted by justatraveler View Post
    Honey. :frustrated: I'm the one who gave you the site. I've been there a few times. As soon as you sign up or KNOW you will be working in a state other than your tax home state every penny or stipend or reimbursement you get from your travel company will be taxable.
    You don't have to work in a compact state a year for it to be your residence state. Actually if YOU read the site you have to change your licensure within 30 days of moving to the new state.

:luck: Keep believing these 20 year old recruiters who've never even stepped into a hospital and aren't licensed nurses.

I bet they told you there is a 50 mile rule to get perdiem money. That's not an IRS rule though. It's a hospital or travel company rule.
    Well HONEY I wasn't telling you to go look at the site I was posting in general.
    Of course you would know the site...Your the only one who knows the site... :lmao: :lmao: You did not give me the site. I know the site, santa clause knows the site and maybe the easter bunny does too!!!
    So :luck: with yourself and hating the world of recruiters and traveling.:endof:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast