Thread: working with shift different times

Question working with shift different times

has anyone worked a 3 to 3 shift, compared to a 7 to 7 shift and do you feel more rested with the 3 to 3 shift being that you get some nite sleep? It has been discussed on the floor lately to change the times that people switch over and the benefits to a three to three shift; and it is felt that the day nurses would have the biggest problem with the change.

Member Extraordinaire

Re: working with shift different times

Quote Originally Posted by heatg1 View Post
    has anyone worked a 3 to 3 shift, compared to a 7 to 7 shift and do you feel more rested with the 3 to 3 shift being that you get some nite sleep? It has been discussed on the floor lately to change the times that people switch over and the benefits to a three to three shift; and it is felt that the day nurses would have the biggest problem with the change.
    That was done on our floor a few years back with a few nurses. One of the hospital problems was diferential to pay like should the 3a-3p person get night shift for 4 hrs or the whole thing and when did the 3p persons pay change from evenings to nights.

With the 3a shift I'd have to get up at 1a to take a shower and leave the house about 2 (really a little later since there's not traffic then) but that would make bedtime by 7pm. So if the kids get out of school at 3 and dinner that's all there is. If you work 3p-3a if you have kids you don't see them after school then get home around 4am maybe sleep 3 hrs then get up to get kids ready (if you have them)then go back to bed 3 more hours. Maybe not bad if you don't have other obligations.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

I have *only* worked 11 p to 7 a, with an occasional foray towards 11 am. OR the occasional 7 pm to 7 am. Anything over 8 hours is considered OT.

'Cat'

I miss the 3a-3p shift I had there for a while, of course I lived like 5min from the hosp, showered the day before after the last shift cuz I only worked consecutive days, single, plus my prime time for thinking or cramming even in college was early am anyhow. So in retrospect prob not same ideal situation for most staff out there. It did spiced things up though. I liked knowing the patients situation and needs then also being able to catch the docs that and get crap taken care of myself, as opposed to getting a brief report 5min ago and immed having docs want info and missing important stuff.

I'll go with the majority, but for godness sakes keep em all 8's or all 12's, I hate rotating uneven staff! Ergh =/ Toodles, Serena

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Serena, I agree with the rotating shift bit. I've done my share of 'split suicides' before, and they are beasts!

'Cat'