Thread: Diversion Program Confusion

Diversion Program Confusion

Hi, I'm new here.

I don't understand how you can or why you would enter the diversion program if you are in recovery on your own. Is this by choice? Can they make you enter the diversion program if they find out you are in recovery? That doesn't make sense to me. If you aren't diverting, you aren't diverting.... and if you're in recovery, you're in recovery... what kind of safety risk does that impose on our patients? I'm just not sure I entirely understand the whole Diversion Program thing (in CA too).

Any thoughts or information would be great.
    SP

P.S. I just posted this off another thread, but I didn't want to take the focus away from that thread.

Re: Diversion Program Confusion

Usually your ok unless someone finds it out and reports it to the BON. Once it's reported then they generally will review and make decision whether to have you followed by the IPN or to discipline licensure with the BON. If you were disciplined or in a program in another state that thier BON is knowledgable of it will follow you to any state you go to for the rest of your career. No way out of it.

But I don't understand a) why they would find out or how and b) how it's not private medical information that they are not privvy to. Isn't it a HIPPA violation for them to have any information like that about you without your consent?

If you have kept it a complete secret is one thing but anyone having knowledge can at anytime notify the BON anonymously. Most states have it on thier website. I know when I applied to another state for endorsement just the basic application in small print express you are giving them permission to investigate etc. Also if your previous employer or any references you have used have any knowledge it's easy to slip out. Many times the "aren't supposed to's" do happen under the radar and there's not a whole lot you can do about it. Other than that I'm not sure exactly what you are asking for or what response you are looking for?

I guess I just don't understand why, if you have never "diverted" medication, and you are in a recovery program on your own, and you are sober, you would either volunteer to do diversion or be placed in the diversion program. It just doesn't make sense to me. Does it to you?

No honestly it doesnt make sense to me but the BON's arent looking out for us in the slightest bit. They are looking out for the general publics protection and I believe do so to cover thier own arse's in a way. Also they dont have to put all the dollars out on thier recommended programs and testing we do. If they even catch wind you are doing treatment on your own most will follow up and decide what they should be doing to ensure you are doing your part by forcing people into thier programs. I for one dont have any desire for any of the 12-step cultery and believe there are much more conducive programs available than most of the requirements the BON's place on people. Particularly in stripping people of thier livelyhoods in the process. But that's jmo.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by soulpicnic View Post
    I guess I just don't understand why, if you have never "diverted" medication, and you are in a recovery program on your own, and you are sober, you would either volunteer to do diversion or be placed in the diversion program. It just doesn't make sense to me. Does it to you?
    Maybe I can answer your question. HIPPA does not cover you if what wrong poses a risk to public safety. So as mandated reporters DRs and Nurses involved in your treatment have a duty to report you if they feel that your addiction may put public at risk. Lets say your in treatment and doing well but have a history of multiple relapse. Many Dr's will report you because their own license will be at stake. However Most docs I know and I do work in treatment are reluctant to report unless there is a very serious risk to public
    safety.

In my personal case as an alcoholic - I tried to kill myself and my husband took me to the ER in the hospital where I worked. I was told that if I did not self-report they (hospital) would report me. I have been in Diversion for 2.5 years. While it has been a pain - I have to say it's the best thing that has ever happened to me. I am sober - I now work in an area of nursing that I would never have considered.

The board doesn't care about us - their mandate is public safety. But the fact is that if you get caught - due to diverting, DUI, etc.... and want to keep your liscense the only option you have is diversion or probation. At least with diversion there's no permanent record if you complete the program but the board mandates participation in a 12 step program.

I don't know part of being succesfully sober is to learn how to react and deal with lifes difficulties. Being in diversion sure teaches you to do that.

hppy

I agree with you that the program is alot of hassle and money. But, it is for the patients safety for sure. It does give alot of information. :luck: