Thread: Another point of confusion...

Another point of confusion...

I also don't understand... if you are in recovery on your own (with AA/NA, support groups, therapy, medication management), why do you need to tell your employer or use a monitoring system? It seems very strange to me and possibly even a violation of privacy, especially if you are in active recovery....

Again, just confused.

Re: Another point of confusion...

I am always told the public doesn't trust an addict and they should not trust themselves. Not everyone fits that bill. Some people can be trustworthy. But, the State has too many problems to trust anyone. So, they keep a very close eye. I guess it would help the diverter to know that people may be watching on the unit too. So, telling the employer may be a help.
    :luck:

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Talking Re: Another point of confusion...

Honesty is the very root of recovery from addiction. It is always up to you who you tell about your addiction. My basic rule of thumb is that if you are in recovery and have no criminal record. IE Dui, drunk in public, shop lifting, possesion etc... Then you really don't have to tell anyone. However, if any of the above applies you should tell a prospective employer. It may take a while but the Board will always find you and even if you have several years of sobriety they can slap you in probation.

As to the privacy issue : Diversion programs are voluntary - those in the program sign releases regarding information that would normally be considered private. Also HIPPa does not apply to matters of public safety.
    We do this diversion thing because we want our licenses and will do what is required to achieve that goal.

I work in a facility where 50% of the nursing staff is in recovery - Most of us are pretty open about it, but we respect the anonymity of those who want to stay under the radar.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy