Thread: taking CNA class in spring...some advice please!!

taking CNA class in spring...some advice please!!

Hey all. I'm interested in taking this CNA course from a local community college. I really do not want to work in a nursing home after getting certified. A hospital is my first choice. I'm wanting to get into rehab. So my question is, am I on the right track? Will I have a chance for a job at a hospital or the nursing home? Being a male, will that help or not help me?? Thanks in advance!

Re: taking CNA class in spring...some advice please!!

Just from a local perspective, you should have a great chance at getting employesd with a hospital or nursing home once certified. The nursing homes in this area of Texas are always looking for CNA's. And the local hospital has about 8 current openings . So you are on the right track, and if you plan to go farther as into nursing maybe, then there is a good possibility the hospital would help with expenses.

Good Luck

Jerry

The fact that you are a man and want to work in rehab is super. They are always looking for good strong backs there and on Ortho floors. Definitely look into a position that will help you financially for when ( yes, I meant when ) you want to go back to school and become a nurse. Good luck and enjoy.

A CNA can work in any setting he/she wants to.

The bulk of the training you'll get as a nursing assistant you'll get on the job. Getting certified will certainly help!

I'd avoid long term care if possible. You'll learn a lot more in a hospital. Also in an acute care setting, you have the opportunity in most hospitals to learn how to draw blood, do EKGs and other skills you won't learn in a nursing home.

There's an extremely high turn-over rate for nursing assistants, like 50% per year meaning there should be plenty of openings.

I usually recommend that people interested in nursing work as a nursing assistant first to get a first-hand look at the nursing environment and how people treat eachother.

If you like the work and it doesn't turn you off to the field, most hospitals will help pay for you to go on to nursing school, etc.

I'd also recommend hearing what nurses have to say on the profession of nursing. You can read a few articles written by nurses here, http://www.nursefriendly.com/views

Hope that is helpful.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

[ QUOTE ]
    nursinghumor said:
    There's an extremely high turn-over rate for nursing assistants, like 50% per year meaning there should be plenty of openings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious...I'm fresh out of CNA training and waiting to take my state exam (Illinois). What do you see is the main reason for the big turn over?

TIm

It's tough, stressful, physically and mentally demanding work. Pay is often low, you rarely have enough nursing assistants to care for all your residents they way they should be taken care of. You end up working short, cutting corners, getting a lot of complaints and not getting supported by your employers.

It's a perfect training ground for going into nursing. . . . .

Seriously, I recommend working as a nursing assistant to people interested in becoming an RN or LPN/LVN. It gives you a first hand look at what patient care requires, how nurses treat patients, nursing assistants and each other, and it forces you to learn how to organize your time.

A lot of people change their mind about going into Nursing after working as a nursing assistant first. It gives you a Bird's Eye view and perspective.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com