Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maybe I don't want to be a nurse...

Re: Maybe I don't want to be a nurse...

Courtney,
    I think it is really great that you are thinking about this because the decisions you make will no doubt shape your future but don't be afraid of making a mistake or changing your mind.

I started out in nursing for the wrong reasons...it was easily accessible, affordable, I could get a job and it was what my father wanted me to do. But, like you I also had wanted a "normal" college experience. I got an associates degree in nursing at a community college and then started a BSN at a four year university. But, decided I wanted to do "more" than nursing, switched universities and got a BA in philosopy and a BA in political science. (All the electives you could ever want!) Not to mention lots of fun at the local bars--the fact that I was able to work as a nurse on the weekends meant that I could buy lots of rounds for my friends...

And then I went to law school.

And now, I am $100,000 in debt for my very well rounded education. And guess what, I am going back to nursing! But this time, it is for the right reasons...because I like taking care of others in that hands on way of a nurse...

I guess what I am trying to say, that, what is the worst that could happen for you? You go into nursing, you don't like it, you change majors which costs time or you finish your degree, you work as a nurse and go back to school. Don't feel locked into anything, you can always change direction and you can even go back if you want to...And, it looks like you may have even found a way to satisfy all your needs by finding a program that is right for you! I have no doubt you will be successful in whatever you ultimately decide to do! Good luck!

Lotta

When I started nursing school, I really wanted to be a nuclear engineer. But I had a husband, a 2-yr old and a newborn. So I thought, how can I do school for 4 years? Was flipping thru the catalog for the community college where I lived and saw nursing. Hmmm, I thought, all I have to do is pass out pills and I can go back to school later for the engineering. (This was truly a 2yr ADN program- everything from English to A+P and all while taking the nursing classes) I cried sometimes because I felt trapped being so close to graduating and hating nursing school so much. Guess what? I ended up really liking the nursing once I graduated. I've done it for over 15 years now, and don't see myself leaving it for anything else any time soon. The school is just foundation work. You really don't experience nursing until you start doing it and see the difference it makes in the lives of your patients.

Smile Re: Maybe I don't want to be a nurse...

Well I know how you feel. I'm starting nursing school next week. I have done more than a year of prereqs and well I doubt sometimes if this is right for me also. If you believe in prayer I would say pray but if you don't I would say find out if you can handle the job. Also if you got another dream you can do that also. Like in my case I am working a design for an electric car. I also design and create websites and I have worked in research and development for aerospace electronics (avionics). Anyways you'll be surprised on where things take you as you have some faith in where you are going God bless.

OK, maybe I'm way off base here but when I read your post I hear...blah blah blah I LOVE LANGUAGE AND CULTURAL STUDIES blah blah blah. If you were my child, fresh out of school, this is what my advice would be. Don't go into a profession because of the money, you will spend more time at work then with your family so you need to do what you love. If you are undecided at this point in time, take some general classes, learn more about the kind of careers you can have in Language and cultural studies. Then make your decision. You may find a career that you can combine both of what you love...i.e. Peace corps or something of that sort. You are 18 yrs old (presumably) and have your whole life ahead of you. This is a big decision, make sure you follow your heart and do what you love to do.

I really don't know when all this was posted and I'm sorry I'm late. Nursing school takes up a lot of time....

I am currently in Nursing School for my LPN and I have said the same thing more times than I can count. Is this really what I want to do? Am I cut out for it? Am I WORTHY enough for this job? I've had anxiety attacks and am currently failing. But the thing is... I feel in my gut that this is where I'm supposed to be. Its HARD! And my teachers tell me alot that its a learning and a growing process. I'm sorry, but the word "process", doesn't even come close to describing what a nurse goes through every day.

I refuse to give up because I KNOW that this is what I need and want to do. If you don't feel in your heart that this isn't something you want... do whatever you're going to be happy doing. You're young, you can always change your mind later. Good luck!

Thumbs up Re: Maybe I don't want to be a nurse...

Sometimes I have these thoughts that "what if one day I have an emer. and everyone is looking at me for the answer and I dont know it", this pt life is in my hands, his/her family is depending on me, this is someones mother-father-brother-sister-child...... I dont know, I get scared too........ but everytime you get discourage find that vacation spot in your mind and think about why you ever started nursing school. Think about that pt in clincals that touched your heart. Its there believe in yourself. Nursing school can make anyone feel like there going to kill someone, ppl will be there to help you. Thats the best thing about being a nurse unlike any other profession, you always have someone beside you and your never left alone. :rose:

Follow you heart. What you love to do is what you should do. If you follow your heart, the money will take care of itself -especially IF you follow a budget!

Seriously, in all 38+ years of being an RN, I've probably "worked" less than 2 years; in spite of always having a 0.8 to full time schedule.

I feel quite a bit different than most people posting on this thread here: I would advise younger people that if they are unsure if they want to be nurses or not; maybe they shouldn't tie up those coveted spots in nursing programs and take generalized college courses instead and earn BA's in other areas. Once they have matured a bit they can always go back for a BA-to-RN program after they have had a chance to do other things in life and find out what they DO want to do.

I think we would end up with more people staying in nursing and more becoming mature nurses this way. There is a nursing shortage; don't take a spot in a nursing program unless you are sure you want to be a nurse.

I know most of the other responses have been trying to steer you into a different perspective of nursing, but honestly not everyone is cut out to a nurse. If you don't LOVE it you will hate it. People talk all the time about how nurses always have jobs and about how much money nurses make, but in reality for the kind of work nurses do and the hours they are expected to work (what other college degree can you get where as a new grad you will probably get stuck working nights and weekends?), its not fairly compensated. If you don't want to be a nurse then I suggest you finding a path doing what you want to do. Most new nurses quit nursing in just a few years, because its glamorized on tv and is never what people expect. The work is hard, you are always expected to know new things, and more often than not you work shorthanded because of the national nursing shortage. Don't try to talk yourself into something if you don't think you want to do it.
    I love being a nurse, I couldn't ever imagine being anything different, and if you want to be a nurse then please go to nursing school, but if you don't, then don't make yourself misrable.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123