Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maybe I don't want to be a nurse...

Maybe I don't want to be a nurse...

I'm a senior in high school and will either be attending university of michigan next fall or university at buffalo. I decided on nursing last year and haven't waivered from my decision until now. The thing is, I am taking a class in highschool that is a lot like nursing school. It's a 2 hour class, where for the first semester we learn how to give IV's, take vital signs, do various lifts, etc. We also learn about each body system and how to care for basic diseases and things like that. Now, second semester we go to one of 3 hospitals nearby and shadow different health care professionals. I have shadowed a nurse and a doctor, and now I'm really debating my decision of whether or not I want to be a nurse. After shadowing the doctor, I was positive I didn't want to be a doctor. They work so much and yes I'm sure it is rewarding, but they don't interact too much with the patients. Mentally, I'm also just not sure I could go to school for that long and have that type of job. Next, I shadowed the nurse and I didn't like her job at all. She has to do the most meaningless things and the doctors constantly are rude to her. I understand nursing comes with benefits, and yes there are many times that you have to do meaningless things because that's what nursing is...but I'm not sure I really liked the job. Secondly, I went to the University of Michigan's campus day for the nursing school. It is SO STRUCTURED!! I thought when I got to college I would have freedom to explore areas that I wanted, but in nursing school you have a specific curriculum and it's just like high school. I hated it!!! I really really really wanted to take electives in languages and cultural studies, because that's what I REALLY enjoy....but there's no room for it in the nursing curriculum. I wonder if I really want to do nursing...did you all have doubts like this before you started? I also really want to travel, and I thought that I could do this with nursing...but maybe I should go for a major in languages or cultures or something. I'm SO confused!!!

Anyway...this was an EXTREMELY long post...so if anyone actually replies...you are amazing.

Re: Maybe I don't want to be a nurse...

Nursing is a job you really need to want to do. There are lots of different kinds of nursing but the way to get there is about the same. Cleaning private areas and nasty doctors. Not all of is that bad. But, there is a nursing shortage for a reason. I have been a nurse 17 years. But, I was put there for a reason. (Mom said it would always be a job I could fall back on) lolol But, I would not be a doctor for anything with their hours. You can make good money with travelling benefits. I would say to go with your gut feeling. It has always worked with me!
    Someday you will need to be rescued, whether you realize it or not. Every night be grateful; just in case today was that day.....every day is my day...:39:

The nurse that you shadowed... what specialty? You should not base your decision to be a nurse on this one situation. However, ALL nursing programs are very structured. You mentioned traveling. Well, this nursing site caters to mostly travel nurses. So, after becoming a nurse with a year or so of experience you could go into travel nursing.

This decision is YOUR'S and you are wise to research such.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

ive always wanted to be a nurse. i love it. i love everything about it.

i understand your dilemma. a friend of mine started her nursing degree last year, and i had a big talk with her about what to expect. she decided she wasnt the right kinda person to be a nurse has since changed courses.

also, alot of nursing students drop out after the first year or after their first nursing experience. alot of people seem to expect nursing to be this wonderful career full of happy days and no actual contact with patients. this view is very naive and they soon realize that.

there alot of meaningless tasks involved in nursing, but honestly, what job doesnt have tasks like that???

you need to look at the bigger picture and analyze ur initial drive to be a nurse. was it to help people?? was it to work in the healthcare industry?? was it money?? travel?? find out what you want from a career, then look at the careers that offer that.

personally, i am a nurse because i love helping people. i love interacting with people and i love seeing someone get better. i am amazed at the way the body works and how things like drugs and surgery can affect the body. nursing is to me, the best job in the world. i love making friends with other nurses, i love doing shift work. i was born a nurse.

i hope you find ur path, and in the end, just listen to your heart.

Jess

Member Extraordinaire

Did you consider shadowing a nurse in the ER, OR, or ICU? These areas tend to have more complex & "exciting" procedures going on.

Thanks everyone for all of your helpful advice. I'm shadowing a different nurse now that LOVES her job and it's giving me a different perspective. However, I guess I'm still having my doubts. I realized that after I went to the university of michigan campus day I REALLY REALLY didn't want to be a nurse because of the way their nursing program is set up. It's 4 years of nursing undergrad and there's no room for electives. It's just like high school, as I stated before. But I went to buffalo this weekend and actually was more enthusiastic about being a nurse because of their program (it's 2 years of pre-nursing and then 2 years of nursing) and you have so many more opportunities to study abroad, get an internship, etc. However, Michigan is kind of where I wanted to go so I was wondering about getting a bachelors degree in something else and then doing the BS to RN program. Am I crazy for wanting to do that? I mean I figure most people go in to that at a much older age because they want a career change, but I would be going in to it almost straight out of getting a bachelors. is that even possible, or a good idea??? That seems like my only option if i decide to do nursing and want to stay at university of michigan...otherwise its off to buffalo.

Member Extraordinaire

It is possible to get your bachelor's in something other than nursing, and then go back for your nursing degree, but it will take more time & money. If you do decide to do that, I would go for something science-related, like biology or chemistry. When I went to school, at the University of Wisconsin, I had 2 years of prerequisites, where I had to take all my sciences, psychology, english, math, etc, but also got to take alot of electives, like history, literature, women's studies, & religious studies. THen I had 2 years of strictly nursing classes & clinicals. I really enjoyed it, & feel like I got a more "well-rounded" education because of it. You really should look at a bunch of different schools to find the type of program that's right for you. You might even want to consider getting your Associate's Degree, then you can work as an RN while you go back to get your Bachelor's- lots of nurses do it that way. If you have your heart set on Michigan, however, you may have to take longer if you want to take more electives. Let us know what you decide!

Courtney, have you looked into any second-degree nursing programs? For example, Michigan State University just started one in 2005 that is an accelerated, one-year BSN program for those who already have a bachelor's degree. The first bachelor's degree can be in anything. I'm in that program now and have a geology degree. Other peoples' backgrounds vary - my friends in the program have degrees in psychology, nutrition, food systems management, and I'm not even sure what else. The biggest downside to such a program would probably be that it's intense, because they cram everything into 12 months (although some programs do it in 18 months). The particular program I'm in also has the disadvantage of being very new, which means it's still pretty disorganized (at least it's not overly structured, like you mentioned!). All the same, I love it and I love the challenge of learning to care for individuals and families. I'm glad I had the chance to do what I wanted to do the first time around in college, too - I hope you get to try all the things you want before you settle in for the long haul!

P.S. It's definitely possible to go into a second degree straight out of college, although most people work for a year or more first.

I will tell I hated Nursing School but enjoy Nursing as a Psych RN. Nursing School is a rite of passage still these days and less a nurturing education. Make it through and you'll have a profession where you can work in numerous specialties or chose one like me. You can go on to advance practice or education or resarch. You can work all over the world and travel. You might consider doing a double major or two seperate degrees like I did
    BS Nursing, BA Psychology. It was such a relief being in Psychology classes compared to Nursing. Keep shadowing people in different professions and see what you like but keep in mind it's still not like you doing it. I like Psych but wouldn't like any other area but respect those Nurses that do ER, ICU, OR and so forth. You have to find your niche and Nursing has sooo many niches but one License, great demand.Don'tlike the available niches create your own or keep an eye on all the new ones coming out. There definitely is a need for Nursing Teachers that really teach, nurture and support students in their growth and Nursing Programs that do this. We need some movers and shakers in Nursing and Healthcare or the NSG shortage is will increase dramatically by 2020. All NSG uses Psych or Psychology not just Psych.

CJ Travel NurseToolbox :luck:

Cool Re: Maybe I don't want to be a nurse...

Courtney - I'm kinda late to the post and I haven't read the rest of the responses... but my question to you is... in what other profession can you have only a 2 year associate's degree and make upwards of $60,000 your first year out of nursing school???

Just my $0.02 :luck:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast