Thread: Staffing in the CCU

Staffing in the CCU

I need some help, we just entered into a new hospital going from a 17 bed unit to a 30 bed unit. Unfortunately we did not increase our staff with our increase in beds. We do not often fill all 30 beds but do end up with over flow from PCU and even the med-surg units. As a result our nurses who used to care for 2 critical care patients are now being expected to care for sometimes up to 4 patients. Last night one of the patients, a 31 year old of sound mind, got himself dressed, disconnected himself from the moniter and left our floor without being seen. He was missing for 45 minuted until his nurse discovered that he eloped and then found him in the ER. Our superviser now wants written statements from each of us with details of our actions and whereabouts during the time the patient was missing. We were in the process of receiving 2 admissions during this time period and another patient was starting to climb out of bed. Our census at that time was 12, with 4 nurses on the floor and 1 at supper. Our secretary was at the end of the unit doing orders for the two admissions. I know this is long winded but I just need to know if I and my colleagues are legally responsible in anyway for that patient eloping, since he did return. Also, did our supervisor go about things the appropriate way? I should add, the supervisor made a very unproffessional comment by saying that there would be "hell to pay".

Unhappy Re: Staffing in the CCU

Hi ;

What you are dealing with now it is why I quit ICU after 7 years in ICU/CVICU. Too many Patients no staff and rud ,incompetant Supervisors.
    Hospitals in general want money and don't care about staff , they are not the Ones to go to Court If something happens ,It is YOU.... and YOUR License on the line. I have seen and been envolved in sytuactions that is hard to believe.. There is no Agency or Law that would stop Hospitals from doing what they do, so you are on your own RNs spend theire energy and knowledge on " eatng up " each other ,insted to get together and Organize themself. If you don't want to waist your knowledge and expierence think what would you like to do...
    There are many positions open; Marketing, Insurance , Research Company
    and they are looking for RNs.... Two years ago I made this decision and left Hospital now: No more fear about my Pt's condition, No more overtime or Cancelation when we are not needed, No more verbal and emotional abuse from Management and DRs. If you think .....something will change...soon.....You are waisting your time...

Xana

Re: Staffing in the CCU

okay, I need someone to give me some differant feedback if there is any, I know that I'm grasping here but I don't want to stop caring for patients. If I wanted to go work for a drug company or a research company I already would have. I'm not naive I know I can't change the world but I won't roll over and let people walk all over me either. Thanks !