Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 37 to old to work on a nursing degree

Re: Is 37 to old to work on a nursing degree

I RETIRED FROM THE SERVICE AT 38 YEARS OF AGE AND ENTERED NURSING SCHOOL THAT FALL. I WAS IN A COMPLETELY UNRELATED FIELD IN THE MILITARY. I HAVE BEEN AN RN SINCE 1996 AND AM FIFTY YEARS OLD NOW. MY CAREER HAS BEEN WONDERFUL! MY WIFE IS AN RN ALSO AND IS FIFTY TWO, SHE WAS A LATE BLOOMER ALSO, RECEIVING HER BSN AS I DID IN HER EARLY FORTIES. NURSING WAS A CAREER WHERE AGE HAD LITTLE TO NO BEARING AT THE ENTRY LEVEL,ONE OF THE IMPORTANT REASONS FOR CHOOSING THIS CARING PROFESSION. GO FOR THE DEGREE! YOU WILL BE ACCEPTED IN YOUR NEW FOUND CAREER, AS LONG AS YOU UNDERSTAND WHO YOU ARE AND WHO YOU WILL PRACTICE WITH. GOOD LUCK!

Are you still breathing???? Yes?? Then you're not too old. I have a dear friend that started nursing school at 50 and was very glad she did. You will probably not have as hard of a time adjusting because you have 'life experience' and know that everything is not always 'perfect'....a common problem with a lot of really young nurses...it takes a lot of living to figure out how to adjust to constant changes and pressure...and that is what nursing is all about...Good Luck

I agree. I'm not saying I want to keep working till I'm 70, but God knows I could as long as I kept it together.

The deciding factor for me is "would I enjoy the work." If the answer was yes, I'd go into any profession as long as I was planning on spending at least a few years in it and could look back after and say I did my part.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursefriendly.com

oh gosh no, do it man!

I'm 42 and have most of the prereqs done. I'm saying screw the CNA, I want to focus time on the RN. I will probably get the LPN after the first year of RN school, work part time and finish the second year of RN school.

You will bring more life experience to the nursing program of your choice by entering the field now.
    Another pro to nursing is the fact you are "bankable" anywhere. You can find a job almost anywhere. You can do almost anything in your career...if you get tired of one type of nursing you can switch and do something else!!
    I began my career at 32...and I love what I do!!

37 is not too old I'm a 38 year old in my 4th quarter with a history of mill work & manufacturing I wanted to go into a field where I could help others & have job security & the ability to travel & work. I'm not the youngest in my class but I'm not the oldest either. There are also 8 men out of the 18 in my class & the youngest male is 35 in my class. go for it you will not regret it

37 is not to old. I'm a 38 year old male in my 3rd quarter of nursing school. I have a history in mill work & manufacturing. I wanted a job where I could help others & still make a decent living w/job security & the ability to travel & work. In my class of 18 people there are 8 men & the youngest man is 35. Your never to young do it you'll love it

Good plan man! Go for da nursing degree!

Good for you man! Nursing is great!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast