Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 37 to old to work on a nursing degree

Is 37 to old to work on a nursing degree

Hello,

I am 37 and looking to become an RN as a career change.
    Should I start as a CNA or LPN first?
    What are your thoughts on my age?
    I currently work in the manufacturing sector as a tool designer. I am concerned with the outlook of my job along with the health issues. I spend 90% of my day sitting in front of a computer.
    Your thoughts and suggestions would be of great help!
    Thanks!!

Re: Is 37 to old to work on a nursing degree

Hi there,

I think it's great that you're considering going into nursing now. At 37, you are definitely NOT too old! There are a few "older" students in my class, a few in their 30's, a few in their 40's and 1 in his 50's. To start with I would recommend getting your CNA certification, it was required for us to get into nursing school anyway, so you may need it depending on your school requirements. Once you get your CNA, you'll get a good idea if nursing is what you want to get into and if it's the right thing for you.

[ QUOTE ]
    Jeff H said:
    Hello,

I currently work in the manufacturing sector as a tool designer. I am concerned with the outlook of my job along with the health issues. I spend 90% of my day sitting in front of a computer.
    Thanks!!

[/ QUOTE ]

NO, you are still very young! The health care field is my second career. I started college back in 1992, when I was 32 yrs old. I knew from the start I wanted to be a nurse, however the ADN waiting list was so long it would take a couple of years for me to reach the top of the list. So, I took the prereq courses for both the ADN & Surgical Technology programs. I was accepted to the Surg Tech program right away (completed 1995). I worked in surgery as an Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) for a year, then received a call, while at work, I'd been accepted to the ADN program. I worked 32 hrs per week as an CST, as a male single parent, while in the ADN program (completed 1998 at 38 yrs old).

IMHO, besides the CNA option you might want to consider an Associate of Applied Science in Surgical Technology program (CST). I had no trouble at all with the ADN clinicals, which was due to my CST experience. Nevertheless, I do suggest you seek some kind of health care work as a warm up to an RN program.

Another thought... if you can go straight to a BSN program, rather than an ADN program, go for it! I chose the ADN route because it was quicker in the short run. However, I just recently finished my BSN (at 43 yrs old) with UTMB Galveston's online program, while working 40+ hrs per week. At least my sons are now in their 20's and not living at home. Now, I'm taking Organic Chemistry. A prereq for the Army Nurse Anesthesia Masters (CRNA) program. I'm currently a critical care nurse in the USAR, as well as a civilian OR nurse.

BTW, in my first career I was active duty USMC (avionics) for 8 yrs, then a civilian aircraft electrician for 3 yrs.

[ QUOTE ]
    Jeff H said:
    Hello,

Thanks!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope 37 isn't too old! I started RN school when I was 37. Of course that was a long time ago - I'm 38 now and just a couple weeks from finishing up.

If you have no healthcare experience then I would suggest beginning work as a CNA as soon as you qualify. At the school I went to this was available after we completed the first semester.

Also - to give you a bit more encouragement - I am not the oldest person in my class. There are several who are my age and older. We have one guy who is 45 and just retired from a 20+ year career with Verizon as some kind of manager. There are a couple girls in the class who are in their late 30's and decided they didn't want to be waitresses anymore. In fact most of the people in my class are 30 y/o or older. There are a few who are in their mid 20's and one who is 22, but the median age is between 30-35.

You are NOT too old. Age is an advantage, definitely not a hindrance. Older students tend to do very well in nursing school. The few students who have had to drop out or were held back a semester were mostly younger students. You will do fine as long as you work hard and dedicate yourself to school.

As far as LPN vs. RN.... If I were you I would go for RN right off the bat. RN school is only a semester longer than LPN school and you will always find yourself wishing that you did it to start with. LPNs are paid less and do basically the same job as an RN in most capacities. If you go to LPN school you may find yourself deciding to transition to an RN later on. Around here that's a three semester course of study. If you go RN to start then it's only one semester additional. Not only that, but after your 3rd semester of RN school you can qualify to sit for the LPN boards if you want.

I am 31 and going back for my BSN now. It is actually nice to have "older" guys around to help the "young" guys. I think with age and experience in life you have a great del to offer the profession. I agree with going for teh RN right from the start. You may eve nwant to look at the differences in time commitment for the BSN program.

Good Luck!

Mike

Two more cents from a Newbie! I'm 37 (38 in Jan.) and I will be starting my prereq's for an LPN in January. I researched several options and because of time, money, & family constraints I decided to get my LPN and then I'll let my employer pay for my RN and/or whatever else I go for.

<----- another non-traditional student. This is my 2nd career, started nursing school at 28. I was not even close to the oldest in my class.

I am in my first semester and I am 30. My buddy is going through it to and he is 33. We were both downsized welders, there are also a couple of former (downsized) machinists in the class 37, and 55. The oldest person in my class is 60 and HE is doing fine.

I was 26 when I started an access to nursing course, now 28 I am on my first placement of the second year and i'm loving it. The placement is at the accident and emergency. I didn't think I'd like it so much as I had always been drawn toward the idea of neuroscience nursing having been a carer for people with neurological conditions, but after meeting the consultant nurse in A & E and the ENP's I found their was a lot more to learn in other departments,

so watch out medical world because us oldies are the short lived leaders of the future healthcare, and if technology really is that good we will be able to rule with false hips and knees

I am 47 and doing a RN program. Never attended college before in my life, and currently have a 4.0 GPA, so see, you are never too old if you try. I also was wondering if age was an asset or hinderance, but I do believe that experience in life will more than offset any age related shortcomings.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast