Thread: CALIF Law/Prescription Meds

Hi...Current RN disabled/not working for 15 years with rare arthritis. I am on morphine and oxycodone by MD prescription. Does anyone know if CA nursing schools and hospitals have legal right to require blood tests before entry for school, school clinicals and future employment? I would always tell the truth if asked, just want to know if they have the legal right to ask. Thanks for any info Mark

Member Extraordinaire

Re: CALIF Law/Prescription Meds

not sure about blood tests, but any employer or school in any state has the right to run a urine drug screen. They will ask what type of prescription meds you are taking, so of course they won't think that you are using illicit drugs, but I am wondering- do you take these meds every day? If so, how do you plan on practicing nursing while under the influence of such powerful narcotic pain meds???

Re: CALIF Law/Prescription Meds

Well, this is an interesting situation. If you have a valid prescription and a genuine medical need that you can document then legally I guess you would be ok. I doubt you would have to undergo a UA for school. If you appear "high" they might test you before you go on the units in clinicals - but I would think that it would be a "probable cause" situation (you were acting "high").

You would most certainly have to do a pre-employment UA. You can't work at McDonalds these days without doing a pre-employment drug screen.

The only reason they would ever draw blood in these situations would be for a blood alcohol test. But, with the ETG urine testing these days they probably wouldn't even be doing that.

The real question is: are you safe to practice on these drugs? If you're in so much pain that you need such strong narcs how could you possibly work? This may sound harsh, and I sympathize with your situation, but I wouldn't want you taking care of me.