Thread: Hello!

Hello!

Just found this board earlier this evening and thought I'd introduce myself. It's great to see this board online.

I'm a 50 year old, formerly a computer professional who lost his job and ended up working for a medical supply firm. I found out that I enjoyed helping residents/patients...and the lower pay didn't even make me blink. So, this past Oct 14 I completed my CNA course and clinicals.

I went back to the nursing home I did my clinicals at...to take my application in. It's a union place (I'm not sure I like that mix).

Not sure how far I'll go with this...maybe just stay a CNA. We'll see.

Anyway, just wanted to say "hi".

Tim

Re: Hello!

Hello Tim,

Good to hear from you. Some people are content working as nursing assistants, some catch the nursing bug and want to go on to become an LPN/LVN, RN, Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Anesthestist and beyond

You'll find out in the first six months if you want to stay where you are or move on. The farther up the nursing ladder you go, the more pay, responsibility, satisfaction and headaches you encounter.

Some people welcome the added responsibility and pay, others are quite happy where they are. I will say additional education and higher licenses give you much more power and autonomy. Less supervision, people breathing down your neck (long as you get your work done).

Wish you luck however you decide to proceed. You can find more resources for nursing assistants at:
    http://www.nursefriendly.com/cna/

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

Re: Hello!

Welcome TimBrown!

A CNA is a very important position. In fact, I did a term paper on the importance of CNAs in Long Term Care facilities. If you'd like to read it I'd be happy to send a copy via email as an attachment. Just send me your email address to Carystransam@aol.com

BTW, Andrew made some very valid points. You may find after 6 months or so you'd like to give nursing a try. Anyway, welcome to the Ultimate Nurse website & to the Health Care profession.