Thread: Schools Struggle with Severe Nursing Shortage

Schools Struggle with Severe Nursing Shortage

10/21/04: North Carolina, Johnston Co. Schools Struggle with Severe Nursing Shortage:"When a student gets sick in Johnston County, there may not be a school nurse to treat them. The district has more than 26,000 students, and only 10 nurses. It's a situation that leaves the nurses over-worked, and students waiting for help.
    For school nurse Jean Tripp, students in need never stop coming. She and 9 other nurses in the Johnston County School District are responsible for treating 26,170 students. That's more then 2600 students per nurse, well over the 750 government recommendation. "We are the primary caregiver for approximately 1/3 of the students because their parents don't qualify for insurance and don't have Medicaid."
    http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/news/102...oolnurses.html

Makes you wonder who's watching over your asthmatic son or daughter (or special needs child) in school. . . .

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

Re: Schools Struggle with Severe Nursing Shortage

She says she has to train office workers to help out!? That's scary to think about. I did a school nurse rotation about a month ago, 1 day with a school nurse at a high school and 1 day with a school nurse at an elementary school and I absolutely LOVED it! I know the pay isn't as good, but it's definitely something I'd be interested in doing after I get some experience in the hospital setting after I graduate. And after reading that article it just shows there's a real need for school nurses, I thought it would be hard to get into that area, but I guess not.

The need for school nurses is not the issue, there's plenty of kids needing nursing care. The question is will the school boards pay for it. In the article above, each nurse is responsible for over 2,500 children which is insane. The article states the suggested ratio is 750 children per nurse.

So one of two things is going on. 1. They won't pay for additional nurses in their budget. or 2. Nurses simply don't want to work in the school setting.

Of those two choices, I think the first is a lot more likely. Too many nurses like pediatrics to pass up an opportunity to do school nursing and have summers off.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

I know the need for school nurses wasn't the issue in that article, I was just thinking out loud, oops. Sorry.

No biggie. . . . .

wow, I didn't know they still had school nurses. When I was growing up in Central Florida we never had a school nurse. I order to work for the school system, you were required to be trained in first aide and could help in an emergency situation. If you were hurt and it required immediate medical care, they called an ambulance. Otherwise, they called your parents and had them come get you.
    I'm sure it had alot to do with funds, but they always told us that they couldn't have anyone who provides any care because of the risk of being sued, they wouldn't even touch you unless it was life threatening.....it's really sad when you think about it.
    As a kid I loved it though, because you could just say you had a headache or "felt sick" and they would send you home, no questions asked.

I wish I could relate to this. I went to an all girl private high school so I never had a school nurse. I know people may look at this and say, hey rich girls can afford their own doctor, but still. My family is by no means rich in anyway and there were times we wouldnt go to the doctor because mom couldnt afford the co-pay. Still, it didnt present to much of a problem.
    As to getting to go home. In my schools, grade school and high school, you just called your mom and they made the decision on whether you got to go home or not.
    I think in public schools however, it would be important to have someone who could provide care for a child who cannot afford it. Isnt it kind of like having to provide food for the child. Its for their well being?