Thread: drug diversion in Louisiana

drug diversion in Louisiana

I have known I am addicted to opiates since February and I enrolled in and completed an IOP.I didn't take my addiction seriously and stopped going to NA.I relapsed and unfortunately got caught diverting narcotics.I was fired and the hospital contacted the state board of nursing.they sent me a letter today telling me that the hospital reported me and have given me 10 days to object to the charges or admit to them.I don't know how to respond.I never took a drug test.I am not really all that concerned with keeping my license.I have never really enjoyed my job as a nurse and feel that my unhappiness in my job in someway contributed to my problem.I feel there is another career out there for me that I am passionate about and honestly i have been kind of relieved since I lost my job.I have started going to NA faithfully and am definitely going to beat my addiction.I think being away from narcotics on a daily basis is the best thing for me.I was so anxious and stressed out every day I was at work because i had to be around narcotics and i knew what i was doing was wrong.I am scared though about the legal consequences of what i have done.Can anyone help me?i mean will my board of nursing take any legal action against me if i admit to this?

Re: drug diversion in Louisiana

I wish I could begin to tell you what to do. I'm having an issue with the Board myself. I have 2 DUI'd 9 & 11 years ago respectively in another state. I have had no other issues with this since then..but LA board still wants me to go through a treatment program and have a probationary license. I even have a lawyer helping me with this. This board is unreasonable, and only wants to make money by extorting it from people. I do suggest you hire an attorney to assist you in this. I have heard the name Tina Aikens, from a friend of mine..she is an RN and and attorney. Look her up and give her a call. Good luck!

I can only respond based on my experience with friends who have had similar things happen. Firstly, I think your recovery will, in some part, be dependent upon your ability to be honest with yourself and others. I hope you do admit to the board what you have done, explain you are back in NA, working the steps and trusting God. All they can or will do at worse, is to revoke your license. No, unless (they almost never do as they don't want the publicity) they immediately called the cops, this is not a criminal matter, but a license related one.

I hope you decide to take the necessary steps to retain your license and not just let it go. I think your recovery will be so enhanced by the process of this ordeal.

Even IF later on you decide NOT to practice again. It will then be YOUR choice, not just one more consequence of drugging and drinking. This could be a good thing for you, I think.

I know exactly where you are. I cannot tell you what to do, but share what I did....the wrong thing. I denied allegations and refused peer assistance program. Nine months later my license was revoked. I am currently working for peanuts as a sitter. It's real hard to explain why an ADN is applying for a job as a car salesman. I have other skills and dreams, but cannot pursue them until I clear my name as a nurse. Consider this and hire a good attorney.

i AM NOT ADDICTED TO ANY DRUGS AND i DON'T DRINK YET i CAN'T GET WORK AS AN RN, WHY I DON'T KNOW AFTER 25 YEARS IN NURSING AND I DO LOVE IT I WAS LET GO FOR STUPID REASONS. AND YES I AM ANGRY AND I DON'T FEEL HUMBLE BECAUSE I DID NOT DESERVE TO BE FIRED