Thread: Nursing's future is up to you -- What do you do?

Nursing's future is up to you -- What do you do?

Let's say for a minute that YOU are now the end all be all of decision making regarding the future of Nursing in...oh heck let's say every state.

Let's say you were just named the first Nursing General, and anything you say goes in the Nursing World.

BUT

You only get three mandates and that's it.

What do you do?

Can you make three decisions that would better the nursing profession?

Would you change degree requirements?
    Change labor laws pertaining to nursing?
    What about scope of practice?

Let's hear it.

I'll throw in my two cents later. I just thought of the topic but answering my own question is a tough one for me to decide without some thought.

justatraveler

Re: Nursing's future is up to you -- What do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron C. View Post
    Let's say for a minute that YOU are now the end all be all of decision making regarding the future of Nursing in...oh heck let's say every state.

Let's say you were just named the first Nursing General, and anything you say goes in the Nursing World.

BUT

You only get three mandates and that's it.

What do you do?

Can you make three decisions that would better the nursing profession?

Would you change degree requirements?
    Change labor laws pertaining to nursing?
    What about scope of practice?

Let's hear it.

I'll throw in my two cents later. I just thought of the topic but answering my own question is a tough one for me to decide without some thought.
    OK I'll bite and get flamed all at the same time

IMHO Professional Nursing, and I include LPN's in that category, is being dumbed down . AGAIN IMHO.

These would be my 3 mandates.

#1 Appenticeship into nursing 1 year CNA or equivalent i.e. hemodialysis tech ( YOU did see that coming didn't you) 1 year LPN with IV med skills etc. Then onto RN school leading to BSN ONLY. Sorry guys. Gotta stop the divide and conquer. And I am the General of Nursing. Aaron ( aka God here:houra: ) said so. Which would give that Nurse a national license to practice nursing in ANY U.S. state or territory.

#2 Anyone supervising RN's will forever more be at least an RN. That means the VP in hospitals, etc will be an RN, duly licensed not a MBA etc. No paper pushers allowed.

#3 Increased testing for licensure, similiar to EMT's. Demonstrate CPR, oral airway, sling placement,sterile dressing changes, foley cath insertion etc. Again stop the dumbing down of nursing. Nursing isn't only book learning it's a hands on job.
    Get your orientation in school and be ready to work. I believe that if the student can make it through those first 2 years they will have a good chance of succeeding as a professional nurse and that will stop the exodus of nurse's. There won't be such a reality shock from graduation to that first job. If the new RN complains about the job that's their fault.

The General has spoken.

Any futher comments will be entertained at this time or in the morning if it's easier for ya'll

:whipping: :whipping: :whipping:

Re: Nursing's future is up to you -- What do you do?

1 - NCLEX truly national: licensed in one state is licensed in all states.

2 - No more RNLP's ... you don't work as a nurse until you ARE a nurse.

3 - Need I really say something about pay? Up, up, up to what nurses are worth!

Annakin :luck: