Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: do you respect your CNA ?

Re: do you respect your CNA ?

I am coming into this discussion rather late. I would like to add to this post. I respect the CNA's when they respect me. I have had some problems in the past with cna's who like to sit behind the nurses desk and ask questions about residents while I am busy charting or doing any other aspect of my job. I dont know about any other nurses here, but I was a cna at one time and I had respect for the nurses, even if I didnt like them and I didnt sit behind their desk, didnt pilfer through the drawers, and listened to the nurse when I was asked to do a certain task. I have been finding it very difficult to work with cna's who insist on playing on my niceness. If that makes sense.

The administrator of the LTC facility where I work has offered me the position of DON. Are there going to be some major changes? YES! I cant do it on my own, but there will be no cna's disrepecting me any longer. Will I get the respect I have earned? I dont know. I do know that many changes need to be made. We have some dedicated cna's who do their jobs well and who respect me and love working with me because I respect them as a cna and as part of the nursing team. There are others who will do as they please because they have "been there longer than I". There is no place in any facility to have that type of attitude.

Bottom line, respect me as a nurse and the cna's will get the respect they deserve.

Talking Re: do you respect your CNA ?

****o, I am new here, I am from England I am a Care Assistant. I think that is the same as what you call CNA'S.
    I work in a retirement home for the elderly. I have worked with old people for 14 years now. I love my job, but I agree what people are saying that we don't get enough respect. Some people look at us like we do nothing for the old people, they think we sit down all day. How wrong they are? The people that this this I would like to put them in my place as a Care Assistant for the day and see how they get on. They wouldn't do it again.

I think the money that we get for doing this is not enough. Like someone else said some familys don't respest us. They look at us like we are dirt or something, yet we are caring for there mother or father. The job we do isn't easy it is very tiring at times.

I see that most people are from america here. I hope we can chat about Elderly care and how it works in both countries.

From a Care Assistant across the water. Layla.

I most certainly give the respect to CNA's. I worked 5 years as a CNA myself prior to becoming a nurse and know how hard it is. Most of the CNAs on my unit are well trained and follow directions easily.....but there are a few....who always need a tremendous amount of direction. Why is it that some need to be told daily, to shave the men. Why do they need to be told daily, "toileting is required more than once per shift". Why do some put the meal tray down and pick it up without ever attempting to feed the resident.....and then not even report to the nurse the resident did not eat. Showers are done twice a week, not just when you want to shower them. And when you are doing the shower, please trim the nails.....what's up......Like I said the CNAs are well trained on my unit....they do their jobs and I help them all the time. If I find a resident in need I jump in and do the job.....usually my good CNA's will come in and thank me for helping.......the ones who need direction......never say a word or become angry that I helped the resident.

Absolutely. It hasn't been that long (7 months at most) since I've been an LNA myself (we call them LNAs up here ) Unfortunately I hear all too often from my aides that I'm one of the few nurses who will help out, since so-and-so doesn't like to get her hands dirty. To me, helping Residents do ADL's is the basic fundamental of nursing. Sadly, I just left the nursing home for a maternity/pediatrics position at the hospital, and I'll miss working with the LNAs, many of whom I've made good friends with. The funny thing is, if there was ever a new staff member there, they'd assume I was an aide myself (due to my young age) would be looking all over for the nurse, and then would be embarrassed when I started giving them report.:doh1:

My husband is also an LNA, and we've worked together side by side many times. To me, we all work together as a team and shouldn't hold each other to a lesser degree because of letters behind a name. I have nothing but respect for them. They make my job a lot easier to manage and keep residents safe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12