Thread: RNs: Too Specialized?/Or Seasoned?

RNs: Too Specialized?/Or Seasoned?

Are we over-specializing ourselves rather than seeking other career changes within our nursing field? Do you prefer to think of yourself as a "seasoned" nurse with strong a foundation with a focus on expert knowledge or experience? Does this make you more marketable or does it give you the satisfaction of feeling secure in your current career path?
    I have often wondered how many RNs out there who have practiced 20 years plus are glad they chose the path they are pursuing or if they wish they had stayed working in an acute care setting? I have worked with nurses who had such experience, although rare, enjoy what they do.
    If you are a nurse who has worked in a specialized area, do you have any regrets not pursuing another field, if so, what? For you out there who have decided to remain in the same field since graduating, do you have any regrets?
    I suppose there are many statistics we can review to see how many of us change within our career but it hardly address our inner most regrets or desire to pursue another career path within or outside of nursing.
    It would be great to see responses from any nurse about their career choices. Thanks!
    By the way, I am a specialized nurse who has no regrets. Thanks!

Have you heard of diminishing returns?

The problem that drives most thinking ,seasoned nurses away from the bedside is really a form of self-actualization. At some point you have gotten every certification and degree you can manage.You then realize that you have topped out in pay( don't give me that garbage that pay doesn't matter, ask the Doctors if they would do what they do for half what they make). After say 10-15 years. You think maybe I will be valued for my knowledge. There is scant budget for nurse educators. Maybe I could receive some extra pay for mentoring new and less experienced nurses. Sorry, the very nursing culture we exist in doesn't want it, promote or teach it. A administration will not pay you one dime more than they have to. Well, that takes the wind out of one's sails when it comes to staying in place for years. At some point the returns on the effort and talent do not seem worth it nor are you appreciated. If you are appreciated by your unit and rewarded accordingly, then by all means stay.This is the exception not the rule.
    IndieRN